1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone here play Dungeons and Dragons?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Sep 21, 2008.

1. I've always really fancied playing this game (the proper board version) but I really don't know where to start.

Anyone played before? Is it easy enough to learn HOW to play?

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Does Fantasy Football count?

Fantasy Football is Dungeons and Dragons without the social ridicule.

3. I'm such a nerd...

4. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    No, I have a life.

/South Park quote

5. fitbass3p

fitbass3p

Oct 7, 2006
    Madison, WI
    The PROPER version doesn't have a board ;)

6. Be nice

The version I've seen has...

7. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    +1

Yes, I have played many a session of D&D. To get started just go to the local gaming shop (or barnes and noble) get a friends interested and each buy a Players Handbook (PH), chip in together and also buy 1 Dungeon Master's Guide (DMG), and 1 Monster Manual (MM). Pick who's gonna be the Dungeon Master (someone who has good attention to detail and has flair for the dramatic, preferably)... he needs to read the DMG and look through the MM. Everyone else just needs to read through the PH. Then go from there. It's really pretty easy to get going.

8. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Well... how you play is really up to your imagination. That's sort of the beauty of it really, role playing at its best.

There are rules, yes, and they can be a bit confusing, but that's what character sheets and DMs are for.

9. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    The only other thing that's nice is if you have someone who is willing to spend tons of money on those little figurines. At my favorite sessions, we had a guy who painted and sold them as a hobby, so he had case after case of them. You don't need to go Warhammer 40K and buy landscapes, buildings etc. but it's nice if you can visualize your mates, and enemies. Especially good if you have half a dozen or more players and many enemies.

The board versions tend to be beginner starter kits rather than standalone.

The other thing I think is important is not to rely too heavily upon the rules. For example, you can buy dozens of books that tell you the rules for everything... for example, what dice to roll if you fall off an element. However, you could just have a creative DM tell you to roll a saving throw, and he'll be the one to decide 1-3 means you get trampled to death, 4-10 means you take X damage, 11 to 19 means you land on your feet, 20 means you leap back on, etc..

Many times our DM would tell everyone (or specific people) to roll a d20, and only afterwards he would tell us what happened. Sometimes it was important, sometimes not... but if you a 20... hoo boy!

This way you can be more creative with off-the-wall ideas. Of course it's best to read the DMG and PH before you start making up rules, just to get a feel for what's 'correct.' And then if you don't remember what die to roll when a player is reeling in a fish, make it up! And have fun

10. I play bass...

11. So do I but I would like more hobbies than that...

12. My other hobby(s) would have you and john turner asking me what crack-pipe by-product made me think they were suitable for TalkBass. :ninja:

13. :D

14. DnD can be a lot of fun, but it's best to get in with a good group of players who are serious enough about it to make it an enjoyable, in-depth experience, but not so serious that they nitpick over rules and heckle the DM over every single thing.

I used to play a lot, although I played mostly through online chat rooms (with people I knew, but no one who lived nearby). The DM had a script or something developed to do dice rolling, so that took care of that. It's a lot of fun.

15. I think I might join my uni RPG society for this reason..

16. fitbass3p

fitbass3p

Oct 7, 2006
    Madison, WI
    That first part is pretty much the only important part about D&D...everything else can be free-form, but you NEED to have people that care about playing without being nitpickers.

17. This is why I want to join a society...properly organised and good for a complete noob like myself.

18. Croox

Croox

Sep 16, 2007
    South Side Chicago
    Nerds.

19. That's just mean...

20. I knew guys like that.

...hence the past tense.