1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone here play guitar as well? Specifically baritone guitar?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sgroh87, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

Dec 4, 2012
    DFW, Texas
    I've been playing bass pretty seriously for about a year and a half after playing saxophone for several years. Considering how long I've been playing, I think that I'm pretty advanced. Scales, modes, creating walking lines, rudimentary jazz theory; these are all things I've spent a lot of time working on.

Anyway, I've been thinking about learning some guitar on the side. It would give me a better sense of harmony and chord voicings/inversions as well as voice leading. Since I play a six string bass, I've been thinking about getting a baritone guitar (tuned B-b) rather than a standard guitar. Specifically, either a Blacktop baritone telecaster (or a Warmoth conversion neck) or an Alvarez acoustic baritone.

I figure that the B-b tuning will be a little more familiar to my bass with the low B, and it would also be low enough that if I wanted to jam with guitar players but I didn't feel like bringing the bass, I could still hold down the low end. What do you guys think?

2. SlugThrower

SlugThrower Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I played both a baritone and a Fender Bass VI while I was on a guitar kick. The Bass VI did not work a great bass or guitar tone imho. It had a pretty cool tone of its own, but chording wasn't that great, and the bass frequencies weren't quite pronounced enough to keep up with a loud rock band. I often found myself playing only the low E to make up for its lack of low end. After I dumped the bass vi and brought back my 5 string, I forgot how much was missing. However, if you have some cash and want a new toy/novelty, the bass VI is quite fun and would be more up your alley than the baritone.

On the other hand, the baritone guitar has less low end than the bass vi. Rather than being tuned down a whole octave, the baritone is just tuned down a 4th with extra neck length for string tension, but you probably already knew that. I played mainly metal-ly stuff and it worked great, but didn't substitute the need for a bass.

Still, it's up to you how you spend your monies. Picking up another type of instrument is always fun and exciting, especially guitar. I found that after spending a few years concentrating on guitar, I began to appreciate how hard bass playing is. Also, I learned more about chordal theory, can see inversions easier, and can pick up bass lines faster when jamming with other guitar players.