1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone here playing a Steinberger xt-25 ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WaynerBass, Mar 25, 2017.

1. so I've just pulled the trigger on a Steinberger Spirit xt-25. Sight unseen and on backorder..

Are there any pro's an con's you could share with me?

Opinions please...

Thanks

2. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    Minneapolis
    I'm in the same boat. No one has one? :)

3. Well I find it hard to believe but not really too hard. It don't cost $4000 so of course not. Anyway I am on the fence and if I do take the plunge, I'll be sure to report back to you.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've had both XT-2 and XT-25s over the years. They were all nice, solid basses with good hardware, all of mine could have used replacing the pots but I never got around to it since I was going to install active EMGs at the same time. The XT-2s went away almost 20 years ago when I found a USA Steinberger, and the XT-25 when I picked up a Synapse. Nothing wrong with them, though.

WaynerBass likes this.
  5. Thanks a million Heavyduty

6. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Lots of 'em in the Headless Club.

I don't own one, but they're generally very good, especially at the price.

I do own a headless 5 string that I built that's similar.

I guess you could say one con of this style is that the look is somewhat polarizing, and many people really, really don't like it, to the point that playing opportunities can be limited. i.e. you're probably not gonna get the gig with a traditional country band. But if you're into owning and playing this style of bass, I'd guess that's probably not a problem.

Even if you are into more traditional/old school styles where the look isn't appropriate, they're still great basses for travel/transport/practice because they're very convenient to lug around and play in more confined spaces. Take the "paddle" to practice, bring the Fender-style to the gig.

WaynerBass likes this.
  7. I am seriously considering snagging an XT-25 fiver stick bass too.... I'd like to have something more compact for practice...

From vids, they sound good. I actually like the sound of the all maple non-active better than the originals I've played...

WaynerBass likes this.
  8. Mine's on a truck somewhere headed my way.... Figured I'd get one before HenryJ kills em off totally...

WaynerBass likes this.
  9. Got it in last night. Great bass!

WaynerBass likes this.
  10. Show us a pic bro

edro and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  11. Crappy Cell phone pic but here it is....

IMG_20170420_130523_zpsimzbtee7.

Garret Graves, WaynerBass and EdO. like this.
  12. Get the strap hook to put on it. Makes it way easier to play standing. They're really comfortable sitting but standing, without the strap hook it's a long reach out to the end of the neck. Surprisingly easy playing and great sounding bass for the money, really like mine. Here's a photo of the back of mine with the strap hook installed FWIW.
    SAM_2303.JPG

WaynerBass and edro like this.
  13. Working on locating a strap hook. Using a wide leather strap, I don't have much of a problem as I am tall.... I still would like the hook to move it over a bit more though...

If nothing else, I'll hit a machine shop with a pic and have them mill me one....

WaynerBass likes this.
  14. I have to buy one! She is nice man

15. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    @edro, how are you liking the XT-25?

16. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    I had an xt- 25 before. It is a nice instrument. Cons I remember:

The soldering job was not good. I had to resolder every connection.

The string spacing was too narrow for my tastes.

The bass was not light considering it's size.

JACink likes this.
  17. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Can you remember what the string spacing was?

18. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    Not really, but it was definitely less than or not more than 17mm at the bridge. The Nut width is also narrow for a 5 string. The neck almost felt like a 4 string neck from what I recall.

I liked the bass otherwise but would get a 4 string if I'd get one today, but this is very subjective of course.

19. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Got one for my son years ago(2007) when he did high school marching band. He used the XT-25 for marching and an Epiphone Goth Extreme for jazz band. Both are neck-thru construction and I liked the XT so much that I do have one but it doesn't see much use since we have about 4 songs out of 400 that require a 5. If those get called now, the OCTAVER in the Line 6 gets selected and I play everything up an octave physically.
    100507J01Fxd2.

20. Love it. Plays like a dream. Using string adapter and NYXLs, it is killer... I like it easily as well as my others...
    I can go from the Ray V to Dimension V to the Steinberger V with no issues now that I am accustomed to how the bass sits...