Anyone here put actives in their Kingston?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jugghaid, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I picked up a MTD Kingston fretless 5 from Adrian Garcia and I want to add a preamp to really bring out the mids on this bad boy. It's a nice bass, but it's just lacking a little something. Any suggestions? Have any of you modified your Kingstons before?

I am by no means a newbie but it is the first fretless I have had in years. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    you want to bring more mids out.. From what I've heard these things are full of mids... but I may be wrong about that.. I think Brenden may have also put a preamp in his Kingston..
  3. The BTC control by EMG will do you right. 'Tis a stacked-knob bass/treble control. To bring out mids just boost or cut to your heart's content. Also, it's nice if you convert your volume knob into a pull-slap contour or some other form of EQ shift. I made the aforementioned mods on a MIG Warwick Streamer Std and sold the bass at a profit after 2 hard years on it. I am considering a Kingston 5 FL and would do this mod on it also, but Lee at the Bass Place here in AZ says that most guys are modding with Aguilar electronics. Hope this helps.
  4. Try using your amp's works wonders. or get a MusicMan.. I had a MTD Kingston 4. I didn't like it. it was so lacking in the sound department. however I did like the I sold it on eBay. It was only used maybe a total of 4 hours and in mint the winning bidder gets the bass in their hands. then they wrote me a letter asking if I'd give them their money back, because they didn't like the sound ....:eek: I ask them what they were playing it through. they said PC/headphones,,,,,OMG,, they didn't have a amp.....and no I didn't give them a refund either!
  5. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i'm starting to sound like a broken record but just today my fretless 4 Kingy came in..I like the sound. Today i ordered a Fodera out board preamp - that should be here tomorrow. $239... So instead of doing mods to my passive basses I am going to run them thru the Fodera preamp. Hell, I might even run my big boys thru the Fodera.
  6. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i may be wrong but i think Brendan said that he got a preamp for his Kingston but that it isn't installed.

Check me on that.
  7. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001

ehh.. you're probably right.. I tend not to pay attention to detail.. :D
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yes and no.

I got the Bartolini 2.4AP preamp. I installed it, and it sounded GREAT. But, with my less than spectacular wiring skills, I wired it wrong (I think I got one of the output jack posts mixed up) and whenever I pulled the switch for passive mode, the bass died like a metaphor. So I un-wired it, and now it's sitting in my bass, unwired. During that time period, I fell out of love with the Kingston, and fell back in love with my 4 string w/ EMGs that I dropped into it.

What do you need to know?