1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone here student teachers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by corrosivemind19, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Hey,

I am about to student teach in a high school setting and I was wondering if there was anyone on the TB forums who was in the same situation and could share some insight with me.

Thanks so much,
    Ben

2. I'm not a student teacher, but I had one this year. I miss Frau. Hagen. Be like her. That's the only advice I can give you.

3. I did my student teaching a few years ago. There are lots of schools in lots of different situations out there. Some places are better and some places are worse than where you are. Good luck out there!

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    My mom was a high school teacher, who had many student teachers over the years. I also have friends who became teachers. A big challenge that almost seems universal is learning how to control the classroom.

All the best. Don't feel guilty about taking charge. When someone on TB joins the military, we always thank them for serving their country. Teachers deserve something like that too:

Thank you for serving your country.

5. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Inactive

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    German class? We have student teacher in German, FROM GERMANY! She was a foreign exchange student at our school back in the day apparently.

6. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I'm a teacher. I was really lucky and I got paid for my student teaching through a district internship program. There aren't very many of these programs anymore. If I can give you any advice, I just have to tell you that you can't plan enough, but just like jamming in a band, you can't always step up and play what you practice. Sometimes you have to throw all that planning out the window and just play to what you hear and feel. Teaching is very much improvised. After planning come classroom management. You have to have rules that are easy to understand, and when you levy consequences, be consistent, but don't make it personal. School is place where it's safe to make mistakes, and eventhough you're teaching high school they are just kids very capable of mistakes. The cool thing about it though is that even the most jaded high school students can recognize and appreciate the things you teach them.

7. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I'll be student teaching next Spring. Definitely not looking forward to it. Seems like it'll be high pressure.

8. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    What subjects are you guys who are about to train going to teach?

9. Hey guys,

I appreciate all the responses. I will be teaching history to high schoolers.

If any of you student teachers could identify MAJOR challenges you have experienced when it came to classroom management during your student teaching experience. If you can, explain how you dealt with these challenges. That would be great.

Thanks so much,
    Ben

10. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    You present a subject and answer questions and tell the students what to do, why is that high pressure? Or have I misunderstood what being a student teacher is???

11. Make sure you've got PLENTY places to hide all the dead bodies!

12. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I wouldn't say it's particularly "high pressure", but it is a lot of hard work - over here, anyway, and I guess elsewhere. I suppose some people would say that those are the same thing? I do think there's a bit of a distinction between the two, albeit a subtle one.

Anyway, maybe Norway is different? I'd be interested to hear if you know anybody over there you could ask.

From my own experience, you probably have misunderstood what being a student teacher is, in some respects. "Teaching is not the same as telling." :)

13. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    For me classroom management is based upon one rule (which also falls in line with our school rules). All students have the right to learn, and I have the right to teach. If your behavior interferes with that right, you will be disciplined. In addition to this, I reward and celebrate positive behavior or achievements. (I'm teaching middle school students for a point of reference). I've also found that it's easier to be a hardass in the beginning of year, and then ease up as you get a better grasp of the group of students you have than the other way around. That's just me. Other teachers have other methods I'm sure. :)

14. Teaching is waaaay more complicated than simply presenting a subject an asking questions.

As a student teacher I had a beginning trumpet class that was giving me alot of discipline problems and they weren't practicing enough. Some days were better than others like most classes. The students and I had a good relationship, but I could never quite get them under controll. After a month or so I talked to the vice principal and he gave me some advice and said if I had more trouble to send them to him. After more problems I sent them off and he called their parents. The next day they were mad at me and didn't really respond much to what I did or said. For the rest of the year after that they loved me and became the most advanced beginner class in the school.

Students, especially younger ones, crave discipline and order even if they act like thy don't. When you crack down on them consistantly (huge emphasis on consitantly) they will respect you. Don't be afraid to discipline, but don't go overboard either.

On the otherside, being a young teacher puts a small age gap between you and your older students. DO NOT be buddy-buddy with them. They will want to and you have to draw the line. It's ok to be cool, but you're sitting yourself in the foot by not drawing that professional line. I've watched people lose jobs because of that.

Last piece of advice, middle school kids are idiots and should be locked into a
    closet until their sophomore year.

15. Yeah, apparently that is a huge issue. Teachers want to be the students' friend and then it all goes down hill from there. Teachers are supposed to be there to teach the kids and form a professional relationship, not be there friend :eyebrow:.

Thanks for the responses everyone, its all good stuff. It's interesting hearing everyone's perspective and experience.

-Ben

16. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    It's really difficult to advise on what you're asking for in a short post. Some very brief and pithy tips:

Be IN CHARGE. Number 1 rule, think hard about this one.
    Be AWARE of everything that is going on in your lesson.
    Be INSISTENT on high standards - expect each student to be the very best they can be in every way.
    Be BRISK and businesslike - there's work to be done!
    Be CLEAR about what you expect you and the class to achieve each lesson (and each section thereof).
    Be WELL ORGANISED.
    Be KNOWLEDGEABLE about what you're teaching so you can engage their interest.
    Be POSITIVE about the whole process of learning.
    Be OPEN about your reasons for wanting things done right.
    Be PROFESSIONAL and take pride in doing so.
    Be THOROUGH - yes, the details do matter.
    Be FIRM BUT FAIR - the old cliché, but it's very true.

Get 'em started, keep 'em busy, stand no nonsense!

Okay, that'll do for now. I could go on (and very probably will :D).

No charge. ;)

17. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Sad news about that kid that had sex with that hot blond teacher in Tampa, he is dead.

Yeah, he HIGH FIVED HIMSELF TO DEATH! :D

[​IMG]

Sorry, carry on.

18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Man... if only that were one of MY teachers...

There were two Engilsh teachers (12th & 11th grade) at my school, both perpetually single, that really liked me. Maybe because I really liked English, or maybe I was the only one with any reading comprehension, but Im pretty sure if I were to have hit them up after graduation I could have tapped that.

19. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006

Seriously, how could you not? :cool:

20. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    If she were my teacher today I'm sure my gf and I would get into a lot of trouble with her.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020