Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone here studying history?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vampyre, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Vampyre

Vampyre

Dec 9, 2004
    I have been very interested in History for some time now and am planning on studying it in uni but have a few questions.

For those of you who are studying history right now, what do you plan on doing after you complete uni? I have been told that the only option you have is teaching and would like to know if there are any other fields of work available.

What are the average grade requirements to get into uni to study in a history program? Or are all unis completely different in these terms?

Im in grade 11 so im kind of running out of time and would like to learn as much as i can. Ive been meaning to speak to a guidance counselor at my school but just havent found the time to do so yet.

thank you

2. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Vamp:
    I finished my programs long ago and have been teaching the last ten years. I applaud your interest in history. The reality is that history degrees leave few options for college graduates. The two most common paths are teaching and law school. Undergraduate degrees in history won't get you very far in teaching without supplemental training in education (read teaching credential), but law school is a haven for polisci and history folks. Here in California, math and science rule the public teaching sphere. I recommend you combine your love of history with one of the money-making degree programs. Do a business major with a history minor, or go big and double major in history and business.

I just want to add a little after seeing what other TBers have offered. American universities have, since the 1980s, placed most of their resources into building those programs where students have shown the most interest. Those are the "money-making" professions (business and business-related subjects). Most college undergraduates major in those fields. A college degree is a ticket to greater earnings potential for the majority of people attending college. Studying a subject you love, like history or other social sciences, is a wonderful thing. If you can support yourself during and after college. If you can establish the security to pursue what you love, like bass playing, go for what floats your boat. Otherwise, think about what will help you most get through life.

3. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Wouldn't it be wonderful if someone with a sense of history went into politics?

4. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I am just about to finish my degree in History. I would also suggest that politics is a great way to actually apply a degree in history. You can do anything you want with your degree it just depends on how much you want it. Good luck and have fun.

5. A history degree prepares you for nothing and everything. Everything has a history. Accounting only trains you to balance your check book backwards so that debits are positive and credits are negative. There is history of accounting, but no accounting for history.;) The same can be said for electrical engineering or chemistry.

In the past 30 years a liberal arts education has been so denigrated in the pursuit the "big bucks" that we have lost our ethical and cultural bearings in this country. (I acknowledge that you live in Canada which is not as over the top as the US). The prevailing rule which dominates all decision making today is pecuniary: "If it makes money, it must be right. If it doesn't make money, it must be wrong." Every decision is made on the basis of a "cost / benefit" analysis and not on the basis of informed ethics which requires an historical understanding of the moral outcomes of similar decisions in the past.

My undergrad degree was in anthropology, on the surface a lot less useful than history. I have been quite successful as a business analyst and am a lot more insightful about the legal, social, political and financial consequences of business decisions than most of the B school and law school grads I meet.

I suggest that you pursue degrees and other certifications in subjects that interest you. Those interests will change over the years throughout your university education and afterwards. As long as you continue to pursue education throughout your life, doors will not be closed to you. When you decide to terminate your education, your intellectual life will be over.

My oldest son did a double major in history and marketing and worked for a major international advertising firm for several years until he became totally disgusted. He is now back at a university pursuing a doctorate in Classics. What will he do with it?....Be Happy!

Pursue your Muse!:hyper: If it is geo-technical engineering, so be it. If it is accounting, so be it. If it is history, so be it.

6. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I come from the same area as you, so perhaps I might have some insight into the same schools you'll be looking at and such.

I study Chemical Engineering at Waterloo, so probabaly the furthest thing from what you're looking at. That said, I've looked at different programs at Canadian schools, and seen first hand what Arts students are doing at UW. I live with 4. A good friend from secondary school whom I still talk to is a History major at Queen's.

My thought for you is that as far as jobs go, what the other people are saying is mostly correct. History doesn't directly train you for anything, but it prepares you to do lots of different things.

The way our education system works, I suggest you pick a program that interests you (if that is History, then great). Now, get yourself into a good school, and go for a year. After a year at university, you will have a much wider perspective on both what is out there for you to take, and what you can take away from it. I think it can be hard to know at the point you're at, so it's best to get there first and see how things go. Switching majors is not hard to do at all. I know someone who started as a computer science major, hated it, and now he's very happy as an english major, and only needs to make up a credit or two to graduate on time.

Let me know if you have any other questions about Ontario universities or whatnot.

7. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    As my teacher says "getting history degree is worth it, this way you have something to say to people at tables you are waitering on".

Yeah i am a history major... not much you can do, grow a beard and become a history teacher or those people who talk on history channel...

Most likelly you will be a teacher but for some reason if teaching isnt your thing i'd consider studing history and second major that relates to history. My major is history and poli scie and minor in econ. This way most likely i will be a teacher but it also gives me more options in simular fields.

Cheers

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Neil Postman wrote a couple of really good pages about history in education in the last chapter of his book Technopoly.

I'm an African History major, so unless I get a Ph.D. and graduate top of the class, even teaching is out of the question. As far as career options, I've thought about the following: librarian (I'd have to get a Masters in library sciences), going to law school, getting a masters in teaching, and of course- music. I'm studying African History because I enjoy it a lot. I doubt I can really make a career out of it, but I learn a lot of new skills and it is very entertaining.