Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone here uses the Violin Bass by Hofner???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zack01, Aug 14, 2002.

1. zack01

zack01

Aug 3, 2002
    Anyone uses this sort of Bass??

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Why have you done this?

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    To delete your redundant threads, go to them, and hit the "edit/delete" icon above your post.

Check the "delete this post" box and hit the "Delete" button.

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Wasn't there that guy from The Beatles??? Maybe he just used a Ric... I dunno :)

-robert

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can delete redundant threads.

I played a friend's Höfner on some oldie gigs, quite nice. I liked the short neck (I have small fingers), but I like slapping and active basses too much - it's not a bass for me.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    no worries about the dup threads, i got them.

there are a few guys around here that have the ole' beatle bass in their lineup.

7. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    South
    I have quite a few basses. Two Hofners, one Club Hofner and an 500/1 made in 1990 with the hotter staple pickups. I play them through an SanAmp bass di and an Alesis Nano comp and I get a killer sound for what I am currently doing. We do Rockgrass music which is rock music with bluegrass instrumentation. It sounds like an upright on steroids, really kicks. I have been play bass since the 60's so I have been through many. The Hofners are a differnt breed than any othere bass and the kind of strings, and the set up is totally different than any solidbody bass. Both of mine stay in tune extreamly well and the intonation is perfect, but you have to know how to set them up. When I play straight rock I use a Fender Jazz and a Warwick Thumb.

El Pelusa likes this.
  8. I have one but I havn't gigged with it. If you want to hear from guys who do regularly go to www.voxtalks.com. That place is crawling with guys who love the Beatles, Beatles gear, and '60's English invasion music in general. There are guys who play in Beatles trib bands there and they are very knowlegable on that subject. When it comes to the Beatle bass NOTHING gets by them.

9. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I played a Hofner only once and that was the last time I was interested in even picking one up. Tonally it's ok but to me it felt like a toy bass..very small and extremely light (it felt like it was made out of balsa wood). The neck is also very small and thin...no wonder McCartney played with a pick because fingerstyle is pretty uncomfortable on that bass.

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I bet they don't know this... A drunk Paul once knocked over my bass at a bar in Pasadena....

Okay, well it's a cover band's "Paul", but still!! Did they know that??? ;) :p