1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone here wear a kilt?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ray Holt, Mar 28, 2006.

1. My dad's side of the family is 100% Irish, and I was always curious about wearing a kilt. I just got my first utilikilt yesterday, and wore it to all my classes today. I've gotten plenty of amusing looks. It's my first time wearing one, but let me tell you, these things are COMFORTABLE! Just have to be a bit careful when it starts getting windy (I go to the University at Buffalo [NY]... the wind almost never stops in Buffalo...)

It's hard for most to understand that's actually a male garment that is worn casually. Some of the comments were "What's the occasion?", "Hey look at that, that's awesome!" and of course a few "he's wearin a skirt!" (silly people don't know much...)

So I was just curious, anybody else here wear kilts? They're getting more and more popular. Check 'em out...

www.utilikilts.com

-Ray

2. I do have one, but it's a REAL kilt. A great kilt. 8 yards of fabric. In the correct tartan, too!!

[​IMG]

Rock on
    Eric

3. Awesome! I hope to get a traditional kilt someday too. But those things (as you know) are quite expensive... and well the utilikilt is all I could afford being a college student. Someday though...especially a great kilt, that's just too badass!

-Ray

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I have , It was a great expirence. :)

5. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Ive never had the pleasure of wearing a kilt... but I have a friend who plays the pipes and has to wear one every few weeks or something. He also said they were pretty comfy.. but I just cant see all the wind down there being too pleasing.

6. The wind hasn't been much of a problem so far. Don't have to worry about sitting down or anything either, it just falls between your legs.

Besides.... the ladies love 'em :D

7. AspiringBassMan

AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    UK
    there is no tradition in ireland of wearing a kilt. its a purely scottish tradition.

8. No, I meant Irish. I know the Scots were the first to wear the kilt, but it's definitely crossed over into Irish culture. Go to the St. Patty's Day parade and tell me what you see every pipe band wearing :)

And you're right, the Celtic realm brings a lot of it together.

9. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Stop making up names, its just a skirt, sissies.

10. AspiringBassMan

AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    UK
    hehe only because the irish hijacked it in recent years. all celts together and all that, but its true that there is no tradituion of the irish ever wearing kilts except in very modern times. go back a 50-100 years or more and there were probably considerably more people wearing kilts in england than there were in ireland at any time

11. Like I said I know it's mainly Scottish. But what does it really matter, I'm Irish, but anyone wearing a kilt is great. It's a piece of clothing,a nd a very comfortable one at that.

12. AspiringBassMan

AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    UK
    i'm half irish, but i've never met any of my truly irish relatives (apart from dad) because they were all well dead before i were born. i'm also part scottish, welsh, and english.

well, anyway, its true what they say, there isn't anything worn under there. hehe....and you would certainly change your mind about it being comfortable to wear if you lived in the highlands :D.

13. My mother is part Scottish, so if you want to be technical about it, there's why I'm allowed to wear it :D

I've still got relative alive in Ireland, one of my Uncles had a pipe band, and my great-aunt teaches Gaelic... I'm very forunate :) (My great great great great great grandfather General Joseph Holt was a general in the Irish revolution of 1798)

14. AspiringBassMan

AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    UK
    i thought irish gaelic was only spoken beyond cork in the very south west.

EDIT: one day, i'm going to learn welsh. i think its an elegant looking language and irish/scottish/cornish gaelic has its charm too.

15. Well it's still kept alive by many. The Irish Center here in Buffalo gives lessons every week, and you can take a course in it here at the school.

16. AspiringBassMan

AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    UK
    really? :eek:. i know that there's a massive irish population in america (one of the reasons why america funded the finians for years...until september 11th), but i'm surprised abotu that iin america.

17. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Being 100% Scottish, I have a kilt. I haven't worn it since my wedding, which was a warm day and the built in 'air conditioning' was very welcome :)

The whole thing of tartan colours identifying the clan is a pretty recent thing as well, last 100-150 years or so. I'm not sure I understand the whole thing with Irish people wearing kilts, since there wasn't the same concept of clans as with the Scots IIRC.

18. For it to count.... You can't wear underwear.

19. I'm not positive about the tartans with the Irish, but my friend who is also 100% Scottish (and VERY into it, with tons of knowledge about it) says the Irish have tartans, but it's for different families, not clans and such.

The one I have is not a tartan, it's just a solid color (olive green) for wearing anytime. It's not anything like a traditional kilt.... it's got cargo pockets and even a back pocket. Great for every day casual wearing :)

20. AspiringBassMan

AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    UK
    i don't think the irish did have clans, although i could be wrong. i don't remember anything like the mcdougals and the campbells and all them in ireland. i'm pretty certain the scottish were the only celts who did.