Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone ID this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chef, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    First of all, I have no pix, so it's hard:)
    If you've seen the film Festival Express
    (a documentary about some of the bands from woodstock that did a "train tour across canada-highly recommended viewing)
    then you saw Rick Danko of the band playing something that was shaped like a Thunderbird, but hollowbody with two f-holes, a fretless neck with a scrolled headstock like an upright:oops:pen in the middle, tuners on the outside.
    What the heck was that thing?
    The film was shot in 1970, and he'd been playing this thing long and hard enough to wear the black finish to raw white wood in several places...
    (scottish voice) "It had great huge tone!"
    I've never seen anything like it, help me id that thing!

2. That would be the Ampeg EUB/Aub? (electric upright bass), correct me if I'm wrong, which can be played as a bassguitar, fretless of course.

3. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Man, I knew you guys would know.
    Where can I get info/specs etc on these? When were they made? Who else used one?

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It's cool, as long as you don't know that seller.

Second coolest bass Ampeg ever marketed.

First of course would the the Devil.

5. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Very interesting reading. The "stange" site is cool. I'd like to know how he approaches getting the original sound with his pups...

*edit* I see now, seymor duncan repros...

Please post any additional info, Alan

6. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    *snip*
    The tone of an AEB-1 is an acquired taste, ranging from dark and boomy to abrasively nasal with odd overtones at the extremes of tone setting. Some owners turn down the treble nearly all the way, then tweak their amps to produce decent upright-bass-like depth and timbre. Others – like The Band’s Rick Danko – installed a P-bass pickup and did away with the mystery pickup. Good strategy for instantly-usable tones, but not so good for vintage value! Originally, these basses listed for $324.50 – while now they cost an average of about $1,000. A popular early endorser was Joe Long of the Four Seasons, who used an extremely rare lefty AEB-1.

from
    http://www.vintageguitar.com/brands/details.asp?ID=53