Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone in a Christian band?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bryan Hassing, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Hello: I'd like to solicit the opinions of anyone who is, or has been, in a band devoted to playing religious music. I'm not currently in a band but like the idea of playing music that reflects my religious beliefs. Where does a guy get in contact with other musicians who like to play this type of music? I'll also admit that I'm a pretty straight-laced 35 year old white guy that doesn't enjoy playing late at night in a smoky bar with musicians with attitudes. Can you please provide any insights to playing bass in a religious-band setting? Thanks.

Bryan

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I play in a Christian band, Lucid Dreamer.

The way that we started was that we played together on other projects, and our guitarist started writing material with positive lyrics, we were all Christians, so it seemed like the logical thing to do.

One downside to playing Christian music is that unless you play country or traditional style music, 99% of churches will not let you play. We play 1970's prog rock/metal influenced music, and gigs have been few and far between. Most clubs won't consider a band that plays originals(in Dallas anyway) and the ones that do told us 'No way!' because of our message.

On the upside, Dallas has a growing Christian indie music/Christian club scene going, so it looks like we will be starting to gig quite a bit in the next few months.

3. Thanks Jeff: What were those other projects where you met the others in your band? I know some musicians, but none that are interested in doing anything of a religious nature. By the way, I share your admiration for many of Peavey's basses. Owning a Modulus Graphite Quantum 6, I shudder at the thought that I could buy the Peavey Millennium 4 Plus AND Cirrus 5 fretless I've been dreaming of for about the same as what I paid for the Modulus.

Bryan

4. I only play in a church, but not in a band.

It's cool, it taught me how to groove.

5. Rafterman: What can you tell me about playing in church? Are you given chord charts? Are you "encouraged" only to play the root motion? Do you play every week? etc. Playing in church is where I'd likely want to start.

Bryan

6. Well playing in a church is an awesome experience. I'm glad I started pretty early playing this kind of music because it teaches you how to play along with other musicians and GROOVE.

Yes we are given chord charts, and yes, usually the singers or song leader(s) want you to play just the root note so that they can find the pitch. But lately, as I continue to woodshed everyday, my fingers tend to move more. But I mostly just try to groove HARD! It hasn't been bothering the singers at all so I'll just keep on doing it until they say something. We have a really good drummer...so it's my duty as a musician to match the caliber. :)

Yes I play every week, and I love it!

7. Hi Bryan, I live in the Twin Cities also. I've been a drummer in a "Christian Band" here. (we're on hiatus waiting for "Behind the Music" to call). Check out a club called The New Union. That's where most of the Christian Bands play in town. They have a musicians wanted on their web site.

New Union Web Site

8. Hey, thanks Drummer Dude. I'll definately check it out!

Bryan

9. Wow, that's totally different than Kansas City. Christian venues don't want you to play covers here, only originals. Come gig here!

Mark

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No, due to lack of faith (atheist) and christian bands in Germany.

11. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    i am.

we dont have lyrics so they dont reflect this.. but hopefully people recognize a difference in our actions. our drummers dad has a really good christian band that i would suggest to you all.. theyre called "thirty pieces of silver" and they have stuff on mp3.com if you wanna check em out.

12. embellisher

I guess I wasn't clear, Mark. I meant regular clubs. Up until a couple of years ago, there were few places a Christian rock band could play in Dallas. That's why we quit working on stuff. Now that there is a booming 'scene', we are starting back up. And all of the Christian clubs want originals, no covers.

13. embellisher

I also play praise and worship at church. I have played in tiny churches all my life. No chord charts, no rehearsals, no pay. Makes you really good at improvising and learning new material on the fly. Also helps you develop a really good ear.

14. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I ask this in all seriousness: Would you be willing to relocate (to Wisconsin)?

15. I also play in a church band. I've been very blessed. we are a growing church (5000 members). I am fortunate to be able to serve in such a large church. I get to play for 3 worship services a week and 1 rehersal.
    our worship leader gives us chord charts (sometimes). it's cool, I'm more encouraged to move around as opposed to just playing root. of course it all depends on the song, if he has an idea for what he wants in the song he will tell me.
    so far (a year and a quarter) its been awesome. the musicians are the best I've ever played with. I learn so much playing with them. we have this one drummer, (we call him the mad drummer) this guy is so good. he plays big, busy beats sometimes, takes up a lot of room. he's got a totally different groove than I've ever heard before. I've probably learned more playing with him than anyone ever in my life.
    anyway, (rambling)... I say go find a church where your talent is needed. it's awesome to be able to use your gift for Christ.

16. embellisher

I am given free reign to play pretty much anything that I want, although I do try to be tasteful and not be a big showoff. I play fretless and use slap, harmonics, tapping, doublestops, slides, etc. Playing the root is important, but I like to add a little spice too.:)

Amen.[​IMG]

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    When I'm at home (as in not at school), I have a Christian band that I gig with. It's a blast!

We met through our school's bible study program. I knew the band leader, and heard he was having troubles with his bass player. I happened to mention one day that I play bass, and I was in the band by the end of the day! For about a year we played weekly for a youth group, and it was some good times. Kind of hectic- we didn't know what was going to be played until the evening we actually went on, so a lot of it was just reading the charts as we went. But it was still fun.

What's even better is playing Sunday services. You could stand up there with your amp off, twiddling your fingers on the strings and people will still come up and say "Oh, you did a wonderful job today! Very rewarding. Overall, playing Christian music is a fun, fulfilling change from the normal band... thing.

18. AMEN!

19. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Hey everybody! :)

I play in a Christian band. I can't really describe the type of music we play, but it's along the lines of metal/hardcore, etc... We play all originals. It all works out because of the scene here. Alot of the Christian scene has yet to accept us due to lack of taste in our style, but tons of secular places like us. I think it all works out since we play for ministry with the point of ministry being to get out the Word. Every now and then we play to people who already know, but mostly we just send out a message to those who have yet to hear it. Very neat, I met these guys (and girl) through a mutual friend. Started jamming with them and they called me up and asked me to "fill-in" for a show...then asked me to join. :D

About church playing...I do that as well. No chord sheets, I'm lucky to get a key. ;) But lemme tell you what, we rock! Some of the best musicians I've played with. We do mostly rock/blues type music; smaller church, faithful members, great time. Jeff is right about church gigs training the ear...I've gotten to where I can follow anything without every even hearing it before. That's a great feeling.

Peace y'all.

20. malko

malko

Mar 17, 2002
    st louis mo
    wats up man!
    i always want to play the bass but i was a heroin adicct so i didnt have enough money to buy one
    but 4 1/2 years ago i gave my life to Jesus n now i been playing for 1 year im not pretty good at playing but im getting the the filling very good man n i play every day at church n we play at the gettho alot we play on parks all around the usa n you know wath man i love it because i know that this is just a practice for the day that we get up there man so keep on playing n dont ever in your life play for the world even if you never make it big stay in your position an jam man jam!!!!
    hope to meet you later man cause i can use some help from good musicians :eek: :eek: