Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone in a college marching band or drum corps?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nick Bibeault, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Is there anyone else out there that is in such an orginization? If so, with who and where do you play, and what do you play?

I am in the tuba line at University of Massachusetts minute man marching band.

2. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Yes I marched with the University Of South Carolina MArching BAnd this year. It was a really really big band..about 300 or so. I played trumpet. I did not enjoy it at all, therefore I will never do it again.

3. Glassmen Drum & Bugle Corps. This summer will be my fourth, and I play euphonium there.

There's a couple of other current and former DCI members around here...I think this topic has been mentioned directly or indirectly somewhere here a couple of times.

4. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I was the interesting position to play in the UT-Arlington marching band for 5 seasons. I say interesting because it is one of only Marching bands in the country that is not attached to a football team. We did (and they still do) a drum and bugle style show, and play to sold out crowds similar to the 'bands of America" type audiences. Every show we did got a standing ovation, and it was highly polished, high energy show.

Sousa section leader (88-91)

5. I marched in the Madison Scouts from 1970 - 1975 and the University of Wisconsin Marching Band from 1977 - 1981.

In the Scouts I played tenors and snare drum in the Jr. Scouts ('70-'74) and tympani in the Scouts ('75 World Champions, 23-0). In the UW Marching Band I played snare drum.

Drum Corps has changed sooo much since I was in. It's much tougher in my opinion.