Anyone in a fraternal organization?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jim Nazium, Dec 17, 2012.

1. I was wondering this recently, and I just saw the Masonic Bassists club thread in the bassists forum. So, there are at least a couple of Masons on the board. Anyone else? Shriners, Odd Fellows, Rotarians, etc?

2. I'm not sure you can ask this question in these "politically correct" times. You're basically asking, "any gay bass players out there"?

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I dont think its quite the way you put it, but, even in these "politically correct" times, whats wrong with asking if there are any gay bass players about?
    And he's not asking if there are any gay bass players about, he's asking if there are any Freemasons, Shriners, or other members of fraternal organizations here on TB.

4. I'm a member of a rugby club which currently doesn't have a womens team, if that counts?

We take showers together and all that too, so pretty similar . . .

:bag:

5. :p

6. Um ... what? As far as I know, these are just social and community service organizations.

7. casualmadness

casualmadness Man About Town Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2005
    I used to be a member of the VFW and the American Legion...if those count. Though I let my membership in both lapse because I never went to either or utilized any of thier facilities or services.

8. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    No, but I like to play fraternal organization gigs. Those dudes can party!

9. I am the Grand Poobah of the Loyal Order of Water Buffalos Lodge.

10. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    water-buffalo-flintstones-3.jpg

11. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Maybe 20 years ago I had a friend who was an avowed Satanist, who also joined the Masons. I asked him why they let him in, and he said "they are desperate for membership, and their only requirement is that you believe in God." I said what about the whole Satan thing, and he said "worshiping Satan implies a belief in God." I asked him what he hoped to get out of membership in the Masons, and he said "mostly this cool ring!" and he showed it with pride.

12. MY PEOPLE

13. I was just kidding.

14. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Inactive

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    What is a "poobah"?

15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
  16. vlado

vlado

Mar 14, 2006
    Buje, Croatia
    Does Dudaism count?

17. I'm a freemason.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oops.

19. There's nothing wrong with telling someone you're a mason. There is something wrong with a mason going around advertising his membership. You can have most of your questions answered by asking a fellow freemason in person. You will not get any answers via written correspondence of any sort. If you do, you should question it strongly.

20. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I like the idea, but don't know of any that are inclusive of my views.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021