Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone in KC MO got a Swingmaster or Engelhardt?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Chef, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd like to see how that "skinny neck" feels for a minute or two. If you have one I could eyeball for a minute, I need to come to KC pretty soon to run some errands anyway. Buy you a beer? Anyone?

2. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm usually around, but don't have either one of those. Why not check out KC Strings while you're here (www.kcstrings.com). They always have a good selection of used 3/4 URBs. Check the web site for a map, directions etc. It's a really cool shop-- have Anton give you a tour.
    I have a Scherl & Roth you can try if you want to. I'm in Blue Springs.

3. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Yessir, KC Strings was on my list of things to do this weekend. PM me your phone number? Thanks, Alan

4. Since you live near KC, you absolutely should be looking for a Rodier. I have both a hybrid and a fully carved you can check out.(not for sale) Just a warning though-play one and you will have to have one. Just ask Bob Branstetter.

oh yea, I have an old Kay and an aluminnummmnnm bass also.
    I'm in Liberty. I drink Boulevard Pale Ale. :D

5. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Where can I get info on these, and are you gonna be around on Saturday? Thanks! Alan

6. To quote Bob Branstetter
    "Rodier Brother operated in Kansas City at 3201 E. 27th Street from from 1910 to 1954. The three brothers (Joseph, Albert, & Anthony) were of French extraction. They produced violins, violas, cellos, basses and inlaid acoustic guitars. They were reported to have produced over 3,000 instruments.

There were three grades of basses produced. The 100 series instruments were school grade instruments. They had carved top, but the flat back was laminated. Unlike the better basses, they used a shaded lacquer finish colored with analine dye. The finish on most of these has faded to shade of dirty yellow. The 200 series instruments had carved back made of unfigured maple. The 300 series intruments were carved from highly figured maple. At the time of original sale, the 100 series intruments sold for about $100. The 200 and 300 series instruments sold in the $200 and $300 range respectfully. I was fortunate to be able to acquire a 350 series instrument several years ago, and it is a wonderful instrument to play. Most of the basses we see today are 7/8 size, but Rodiers did produce both a 1/2 and 3/4 size instruments. I have the original Rodier patterns and moulds for these instruments in my shop.

To my knowledge, the only government money the Rodiers received was in the form of tuition for students to the violin school that they operated in the 1940-1950's. Many of the old timer violin makers and repairmen in the mid-west were trained in the Rodier School."

They can be found around town if you are patient. May take a while. Probably wont be cheap either.

I should be around most of Sat. I am painting the house and packing to move back to the country. :hyper:

7. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Hey! I grew up in Liberty. I like the Pale Ale too, but prefer the Bully Porter with a shot of rootbeer added. Yummy! ;)

8. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I just traded a Swing Master into KC Strings a couple weeks ago. I'm pretty sure its still there if you want to look at it.

9. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I bought an old King that Bob Branstetter worked on. He hand carved a solid spruce top for it, put a pakkawood fingerboard on it...it's pretty nice:) You can see a tiny pic of it in my avatar.

I'd be up for a "KC Bass and BBQ Get Together" sometime though...? Start a new thread for it? Is there such a thing as a blues night where we could all meet, and set in and play?(maybe not at the same time...) We have a real good blues night up here in Columbia...

10. Yea lets do that :hyper: ...I'll have to think about where it could happen. I'm "county folk" again so I kinda lost touch of the go-ins-on in the city.

What kind of bass did you get Chris? Maybe we can get Misha to come along ;)

11. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Farmerduded, I definately want to see that aluminum DB. I say when we do this we all bring our basses:)