Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone in/near chicago have a Wishbass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eilif, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    All the talk about wishbasses has got me curious. After seeing Philbara's bass, I am seriously considering getting one to practice my luthiery skills on (refin, routing, mounting marker dots, etc) I would like to try one out before I take the plunge.....and I don't want to wait for the "let's buy a wish plan"

Anyone in or near chicago have a Wishbass I could try? If not comfortable with a home meeting, I could meet at a GC or at one of my shows (www.somethingordinary.com ) or whatever. If someone will let me try thier wish, I will buy them a pizza!

Thanks.

2. A BETTER IDEA!: buy the cheapest FACTORY PRODUCED bass you can find and work it up into something beautiful! a test of skill and a worthwhile project to boot... no need to thank me!

3. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Refinishing a Wish would take a lot of effort. The guy can't even hold a file steady, so you'd have your work cut out for ya.
    Build your own bass from scrath to practice luthiery, if you want to make it like a Wish then go for it. Give it a different headstock while you're at it too. :)

AuG

4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    The Wishbasses don't have a truss rod, or adjustible bridge so the Luthiery skills of a basic setup and intonation can't be practiced on it.

If you want to do woodworking and finishing, that's one thing. But if you want to learn how to do basic adjustments, setups, installing electronics, etc. then a Wish isn't a good bass to learn on.

5. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    I beg to differ, what better way to learn than taking a totally jacked up instrument and transforming it into a working, functional bass?? I'm sure those who dont think it can be done are NOT luthiers, some wish owners have already done so. In tearms of learning lutherie there are many instructional books and videos. At best a Wish would be good for a "frankenstien" project and I think it would be a challenge. For the things you stated practicing on, I think it should'nt be a problem.

6. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Intonation, truss adjustments, replacing electronics and switching harware are all things I've done already as I've built 2.5 basses from parts already, and repaired and upgraded several others.

I am looking at a wish a a chance so practice a bit of basic woodworking such as a shaping, sanding, oiling, drilling for hardware, routing and maybe some planing. I am a fan of baseball bat necks (I started on upright) I really like the look of the "hyper" body style, and I am intrigued by the very earthy tones that folks keep reporting on getting from wishbasses I figure if I can get wish to send me a unrouted, unfinished, undrilled bass w/o hardware (I have all the parts already) for the minimum price, I can finish it myself.

I am going into this process with eyes wide open ,and I know there is a chance that it will all go to heck, in which case I will have had some good experience making a cool looking wall hanging, or I can cut down the body wings and turn it into an EUB. (another project I have been wanting to try for a while)

So, does anyone in or near Chi-town have a Wishbass?

Come on Wishbass owner, I know you are out there, and everybody likes Pizza....