anyone in north of boston area with a quantum 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by schmittuml, May 12, 2005.

1. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    The only shops r in brockton and weymopith and i have played the wqauntum 5's at brockton...was wondering if anyone up here had one I could use in aband srtting at a practice. There has beena lot of debat of it sounding awesome as a solo but doesnt work well with the band and i dont wanna spend money an a quantum if this is the case. I hope im wrong cause I love the tone.....

-Brian Schmitt

PS. I am in North Andover, MA or Lowell depending
  2. schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
  3. schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
  4. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Quantums are MADE for playing with a band. Why do you think so many road guys use them? Few basses rival a Q if you want to cut through the mix in a band setting. Having said that, they don't, in my experience and hands, have that old school "you know the bass is there but can't necessarily distinguish the notes" thing going on.

I've never gotten more compliments on my tone than with my Q5...far more people commented on its tonality than with my Alembic, Roscoe, Pedulla, etc. But they are very aggressive sounding instruments...if you want to blend in and not be noticed in the mix, they aren't for you. If you want you, the band, the gods and the audience to hear you distinctly, the Q rules.
  5. I've used my Quantum with a rock band, a jazz quartet, a jazz sextet, and a coupld of 20-piece big bands. On live recordings the bass always comes through clearly. I have a harder time NOT cutting through the mix. :)

Good luck on finding one to borrow for practice. The only other person I let touch my Quantum is my son, and then only in the house while I'm in the room.

Rick B.
  6. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004
    You guys know of any good bass only stores in our vicinity? I would travel as far as Connecticutt, but I am beginning to hate going to GC, Daddys and the other stores around where volume is king and no one knows how to play.