anyone in or heard of a band with 2 bassists??

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by A Rock, Dec 3, 2006.

1. coilcbl_RT

Dec 23, 2010
    Check out drummer Ronald Shannon Jackson's (RIP ...sigh) band The Decoding Society (feat. Vernon Reid before he went huge). They had two phenom bassists in lieu of a keyboard player- one would play the bass parts while the other would do the chordal comping. They'd switch back and forth- awesome stuff!
  2. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
  3. Timmah

May 19, 2011
    Check out "Gilgamesh (r- texas)" for a cool tune
  4. Duuuuuuuuuude

Nov 30, 2005
    Ned's Atomic Dust Bin
    Orenette Coleman's Prime Time
  5. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Chester, Pa.,USA
    I was in a band for a short while with two bassists, but it didn't last long. There were two other bassists, one left before I replaced him, the other was a condescending prick of a guitarist (tried to tell me "No, this is the way you play the bass to "Truckin".)
    Fortunately, that guy left after not too long, and I was left as the sole bassist, we never bothered after that to get another.
  6. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Not so much as a standard part of the lineup.

But Andy Pratt used two basses in the song Avenging Annie.

And Lou Reed used a string bass and an electric to spectacular effect in Take a Walk on the Wild Side.

Snarky Puppy also used two baritone guitars plus electric bass in the song Too Hot to Last. That gets about as dark and torchy as it gets. (Also impressive purely from an arrangement perspective since integrating even a single baritone guitar into an ensemble is a challenge. The electric baritone's sonic pallet is so overwhelming that it usually it overpowers everything in its wake. So putting two of them in a single piece of music is unheard of.)

kcole4001 likes this.
  7. hsp-sandiego

Oct 22, 2014
    Wayman Tisdale. He played (RIP) either a Tobias eadgc or piccolo with another player on a fiver. Music to my ears.

8. crlujan

Jul 26, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    There was a band here in the Bay Area called Jungle Biscuit that used to do it. Bad sound on this video but you can check it out. They were great. Troy Lampkins on 6-string bass, Miles Perkins on upright.

9. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
  10. mojomike001

mojomike001 Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    James Brown's band often had two bass players. Also, Bobby Rush's band has two bass players.
  11. ROGI

Apr 25, 2005
    Croatia, Europe
    what about 3 bass guitars :

12. thorstiborsti

thorstiborsti Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
  13. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Jimmy Stoma and the Slut Puppies had two, one was the lead bassist