1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone in the Chicago area with an iAMP 350 or 800 I can demo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Apr 18, 2003.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Now that our house sold, I'm giving serious consideration to a new head.

I'm very happy with the tone of my current RBI > Carvin DCM1000 rig, but I wouldn't mind simplifying a bit. An iAMP-800 would allow me to replace my entire power section with a single box due to the built-in tuner, and I could use a SABDDI to sweeten the signal if needed.

I really want to try an iAMP to see this wonderful tone circuit everyone raves about, but have no idea where to find one to demo. One store in the area is listed as a dealer, but they're *very* inconvenient to me.

Does anyone here have one that I can try for a few minutes, or know of one at a local store?

2. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Bump...

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If you're talking about Make'n Music, they're the only ones I know of with one.

If it helps, I a/b'd an i-Amp 600 against a Fafner when making my final choice. I thought they were fairly similar, except the Fafner can get a gritty sound, where the i-Amp is strictly hi-fi.

4. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yeah, that's the place. It's really a pain to prepare my car for a trip the city - I have to cover all my blue lights. You'd think the Chicago cops would follow state law, but they insist on ticketing (or worse) anyone who shows up in the city with blue lights, even after you badge 'em. Schmucks.

I'll give Make'n Music a call to see if they have an iAMP-800 on the floor for demo before I go through the hassle...

5. I have an iAmp 800 but I'm about three hours away from you - a bit more than about halfway between Chicago and Detroit.

If you can't find anything closer, PM me and you're welcome to drop by if you're in the area. I'm driving a couple of Aguilar GS112 cabs with it.

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Allan - thanks for the offer. I may well take you up on it - I'm not about to buy a new $1000+ amp without a demo first!

Everything I've read by you about your new iAMP-800 is favorable...

7. I've had it less than a week - but I'm very happy with it. You're welcome to drop by and try it out.

Another satisfied iAmp 800 owner is Bob Gollihur - I bought mine from him and he gave me a great price. He's got a lot more experience than I do with it - so maybe he'd be the guy to ask questions.

Gard sells them also. Gard sells everything ;)

8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yeah, Bob what the first place I went for a price quote - he's treated me right before!

9. So far I only have one unfavorable comment - I don't like the integrated tuner at all. I'd have bought the amp anyway, but I'm thinking of getting a chromatic tuner to go with it.

The tuner works just fine with a 5-string but it's not real intuitive. I'm gonna work with it some more and see the tuner and I can establish some sort of relationship.

Too bad I just sold my DTR-1 :(

10. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Uh-oh. The integrated tuner is one of the features I like about the iAMP-800 - the ability to shed my rack tuner. How does it work with a four?

11. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Interesting - so much for the brotherhood. :rolleyes:

I never bother anyone for having blue lights unless they are turned *ON*. I've never heard of a law prohibiting the display of Un-illumintaed, Non-flashing, rotating, or oscilating blue lights.

Just out of curiosity - what the heck do you have on your personal car?
    ;)

12. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm a volunteer with my county's Emergency Management Agency, and am on call 24/7/365. We're the local level of FEMA.

Here in IL, red is the heavily restricted color. Blue and white in combination is mandated by state law for volunteer firefighter, EMS, and EMA use in personal vehicles. Blue is also used in combination with red for municipally owned police, fire, EMS and EMA vehicles. (Our agency vehicles all run red & blues.)

However, Chicago always acts like their own little world. They run all blue on their squads, and mercilessly harass (i.e. cite, confiscate and jail) anyone who has the nerve to show up in their kingdom with blues. The state law is very clear on the issue, but Chicago doesn't care and I don't have the time for court.

My car is moderately lit 360° - blue and white strobes behind the grill, behind the mirror, on the rear deck and to the side. We regularly assist the SO via mutual aid and need to barricade rural highways with our POVs - thus the need for safety lighting. (You try shutting down a rural state road in an icestorm with no lights!) No lightbars or anything like that - all low profile interior stuff - but it’s all permanently mounted and a real pain to hood. I’ve been meaning to make "light cozies" for the rear deck lights, but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

13. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Wow, what a shame. I could see if the volunteers were flying through the city with the lights on in order to impress their friends, or pick up their dry cleaning before the shop closes, but to bust b*lls just for even having lights mounted on your car is a bit odd.
    I know some guys around here will give the auxiliary or reserve cops a hard time, but to go after FEMA guys is new to me...:meh:

14. HeavyDuty said...

Uh-oh. The integrated tuner is one of the features I like about the iAMP-800 - the ability to shed my rack tuner. How does it work with a four?

It works just fine, HD - it's just not as easy to use as my old Korg DTR-1 was - or my Boss TU-70 emergency tuner is.

It works okay - I just haven't learned to appreciate it yet ;)