1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone in the Denver/Boulder area willing to let me try their boutique bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by azm892, Jan 18, 2021.

1. azm892

azm892 Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2019
    I am in the process of searching for my first truly high-end bass. There are many options and hardly any store that carry them anymore. I have in mind Sadowsky, Roscoe, MYD, Skjol, and Ken Smith as some basses that sound excellent from online research. But I’m open to others. I’m looking for 5 strings, preferably with something along the lines of a PJ setup or a 2 - dual coil setup (2 different sounding basses). If someone who has one of these wouldn’t mind me trying it out, that would be a great help, as this is a big purchase for me. If you are selling one, I would be interested to know.

Thanks!

2. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I can't help with loaning you a bass, but I'll just add a suggestion that you add Lakland to your list.

3. azm892

azm892 Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2019
    Just to be clear, I’m not looking for a loan, just to try out someone’s bass in their garage.

I have a MIK Lakland Skyline 55-01, but am not a huge fan of the neck on it, or the very stiff, glassy sound it makes. Are American-made Laklands much better? I imagine that the glassy sound could be particular to this individual bass.

Lobster11 likes this.
  4. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Here's Julie Slick with one of her US-made fivers. You might want to skip through various places in the set (if you don't want to watch the whole thing) to hear how it sounds both fingerstyle and pickstyle and with varying amounts of overdrive/distortion. (The audio quality is excellent.) I don't know about the "stiff, glassy" sound of your 55-01, but I'm pretty sure you won't hear it here:

Speaking of Julie, I've spoken with her more than once about the Skyline-vs-USA thing. She thinks the Skylines are nice basses, but that the US-made ones are qualitatively better. In particular, she says that the necks on the US models have "that buttery wow factor" and are "magical." FWIW.

azm892 likes this.
  5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    I can certainly help with your request regarding the type of instrument you are seeking. Unfortunately, I am not in the Denver area, although I did have family there, at one time.

There has to be lots of TBers in mid-Colorado so be patient, they will (maybe) show up here and be glad to help you out.

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    BTW, put Martin Keith on your shortlist.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    azm892 likes this.
  7. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    azm892 likes this.
  8. Hey azm,
    If you find yourself in the Grand Junction area, gimme a shout & stop by for a little Ken Smith goodness.

azm892 likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 13, 2021