1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone in the Midwest scheduled to get a bass delivered tomorrow or Thursday

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maxdusty, Jan 29, 2019.

1. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    Nice bass!

Also, I miss Door County. Nice place to visit. I had some family that lived up there for about a decade.

oldskoolskatedad likes this.
  2. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I saw 2 or 3 abandoned/disabled semis on the drive into work this morning - one was a FedEx semi and the other was a Dayton Freight semi.

It's -4 (with -20 degree wind chill) at the moment, and it seems to be affecting some delivery vehicles. I imagine these kind of temps will be challenging vehicles all throughout the affected areas.

Also some reports of power outages in some areas - I would keep an eye on any tracking info and refresh often. Who knows what kind of situations might come up.

BTW, this is how I got to work this morning:

databank_tauntaun_01_169_b7307446.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  3. It's swimming weather in Finland, so it's all relative.

CJL and Warhawk like this.
  4. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    That is a Beauty!!

oldskoolskatedad likes this.
  5. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I have a neck and pickguard due to show up today. It's -8 degrees here (North-central Ohio). The pickguard I'm not worried about, but the neck....

Yeah, I'll be letting that neck very slowly warm up to room temperature before I open the shipping box!

6. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Luckily I got my bass yesterday, but I had it delivered to GC and picked it up.

Right now it’s -24 but feels like -48 according to my weather app having off work is nice today.

7. oldskoolskatedad

oldskoolskatedad Supporting Member

May 18, 2014
    I grew up here, never imagined I would be here as an adult but definitely appreciate it now for the exact same reasons that made we want to leave!

My L2KE is not getting delivered today due to the weather but at least it's in the Green Bay FedEx facility and not in a truck on the side of the road somewhere.

8. oldskoolskatedad

oldskoolskatedad Supporting Member

May 18, 2014
    I hope it shows up that way! It has almost zero finish checks which can be excessive in this vintage of G&Ls, not that they effect the tone in any way. It's going to take a lot of constraint to leave it in the unheated basement for at least a day without opening it up.

Kukulkan61 likes this.
  9. cmcbass

cmcbass

Jan 4, 2018
    Minneapolis
    I've got a cab scheduled for delivery today or tomorrow. It's -25 here right now. Not too worried about it though.

10. thumpstaph

thumpstaph

Feb 14, 2008
    I have a neck coming. USPS. I know they cancelled the mail for today, but I'm still nervous.

11. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    A few years ago during the last polar vortex here, a friend had the great misfortune of opening up the box of his recently delivered bass and watching (and listening) to a crack develop on the finish. His big mistake was opening the box that had been sitting outside for most of the day and opening it in his heated music room. I don't think it was the low temperature as much as the drastic change in temperature. He probably should have had it delivered to GC store or waited a little while to open it. I know they put a label on some of these boxes now, 24 hours might be a little overkill though.

12. JSandbloom

JSandbloom Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Redding, Ca
    Grace Guitars USA
    It's a bit of a chilly day at 75 degrees in Northern California.

Rallypoint_1 likes this.
  13. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I agree - I thought the 24-hour period was a little over the top for most situations.

But if gets people to wait <at all>, even 2-3 hours, then all the better for both the Buyer and the Seller in getting to avoid a bunch of return claims/disputes because of cracked finishes.

But in an extreme Polar Vortex situation, I might be tempted to wait a full day. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  14. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Yes one coming today (-35) and another coming tomorrow (-25). Not worried at all,I travel with them and live in this weather with them. Not the first time and not my last time.

DanBass likes this.
  15. WickedThunder

WickedThunder Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Chicago Suburbs
    Paid off a layaway yesterday and am having them hold off shipping it here to the Chicago area until next week. It's -24 degrees (actual) this morning.

16. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    My Lakland just arrived.
    With dig temp gun the box was low 40's
    Now in the garage which is high 40's
    Pretty soon inside and then open.

I was going to bring a different bass to rehearsal tonight and though I'd bring the 60' P since my band mates tell me it's crazt to take to bar gigs
    But now there is a new to me bass.....

17. BrassedOn

BrassedOn

Oct 11, 2018
    Oh s#!? I have a reverb special on the way......,,through Wisconsin !

Wait, no worries. It’s a trombone.

porterbass likes this.
  18. I got a 6 string ibanez delivered yesterday from Sweetwater, I was a bit worried because it was plek'd but it's totally fine. It's perfect actually. It was roughly -10degrees Fahrenheit. Ya I let the box acclimate for a few hours but not 24hrs

19. porterbass

porterbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    In Chicago... My car is on the street and my SO's car is in our garage. Went out to start mine this morning to let it run for 20 minutes. The engine made noises I've never heard before. :cautious:

Sadly, no bass being delivered today. It's been a few weeks since my last one. :(

CarTemp01302019.JPG

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    Jim C likes this.
  20. Just a pedal today. Should be ok, but I’ll let it acclimate a bit as my wife naps... then maybe wake her up suddenly?

Maxdusty, stingray69 and porterbass like this.