1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone in the Midwest scheduled to get a bass delivered tomorrow or Thursday

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maxdusty, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    The mailman just delivered. Now the waiting (with excited anticipation) begins....

stingray69 likes this.
  2. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Alright, fess up...where in Door County??

3. oldskoolskatedad

oldskoolskatedad Supporting Member

May 18, 2014
    Well some people don't consider being in DC until they're over the bridge, but I'm a dirty Sturg kid, born and raised.

4. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Hell, even inside one of those things it's only.... Luke warm.

Wisebass, Picton, ak56 and 4 others like this.
  5. rollie 55

rollie 55

Oct 1, 2018
    lost in space
    ive heard about the freezing cold weather coming your way on bbc news this morning in the uk. they said it was gonna go as low as minus 64. brrr.brrr stay safe and warm. :thumbsup:

Maxdusty likes this.
  6. oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    Oh I like what you did there

7. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin

The USPS cancelled all delivery for today in Wisconsin (Wed Jan 30th).

"Neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow, nor dark of night shall keep us from our appointed rounds. But if it's minus 22 in the middle of the afternoon, with a negative 45 wind chill factor, well, f*ck that sh!t."

That said, after 6 weather school day cancellations in the last two weeks (counting tomorrow, already cancelled), plus a 4-day weekend and another weekend, my 2 kids have been home 12 out of the last 14 days, and 14 out of seventeen by the end of the weekend. I work from home (not getting much done).

I am considering going out in this -22 degree weather, and just walking around in my yard for an hour, because at times, well, that just seems more pleasant. It'll be a miracle if we emerge from this confinement with no fatalities.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    rollie 55 likes this.
  8. WhtMtnGrv

WhtMtnGrv

Nov 1, 2015
    Burbank, CA
    Had my hoodie on this morning at 60 degrees down in Burbank. I feel your pain

rollie 55 likes this.
  9. rollie 55

rollie 55

Oct 1, 2018
    lost in space
    dont blame you ;) :thumbsup:

10. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    8b0.

DDXdesign likes this.
  11. rollie 55

rollie 55

Oct 1, 2018
    lost in space
    its 7.30pm in the uk its about minus 2 forcast minus 4 overnight thats about as cold as it will get all winter. so i cant grumble. stay safe and warm :thumbsup:

12. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    Not one manufacturer does this when shipping basses...I would not worry over it

Urban myth

13. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Loosening strings when shipping is pointless. It changes the balance of truss rod and string tension, and is more likely to cause permanent damage than the minuscule change in tension that might possibly be attributed to temperature change. It may have started with sending flat-top acoustic guitars by air simply because IF the top or neck received a severe blow the string tension might compound it. But NO manufacturer does it when shipping new or repaired instruments.

Again, facts- low temperature by itself is not a problem. It's how rapidly the temp changes that causes problems. If UPS or FedEx deliver a new bass today , inspect the shipping container for damage and note it when you sign (or report it to the shipper as soon as you find it). Then let it sit for 24 hours before you open it. If the case hardware is still cold then wait longer before opening the case. If you see fog build up on the instrument, close the cade immediately.

Manage the temperature change and don't get paranoid about the temperature .

[Edited typos, not content]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    oldskoolskatedad likes this.
  14. oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    Makes sense to me. Letting the instrument "decompress" as it were so it doesn't get the "bends". Probably not the most apt analogy.

15. oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    '81 L2KE was delivered today. It's spending the night in the 50ish degree unheated basement to acclimate. My infrared thermometer read 41 degrees on the box surface directly off the FedEx truck.

16. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    BTW; mine was perfect; both shipping and set up
    OTOH it went from Nashville to MD but it was in the 20's when it was delivered

Good luck to you guys

17. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    I've never seen a manufacterer ever ship a guitar or bass with slackened strings. Why? Because it's a non-issue started back in the day by the airlines trying to cover their a$$es by claiming it was the passenger's fault for not loosening the strings.

As a matter of fact, go on the Larivee website and download their instructions for shipping an acoustic guitar (an instrument much more prone to weather influences). They are pretty adamant about NOT slackening the strings when shipping a guitar. So, if it doesn't matter in that case it won't matter here. Of course, if any instrument were left outside (not in a warehouse or parked truck) for too long it would be trashed but don't forget - guitars are made out of wood and wood comes from trees and trees live outside.;)

rollie 55 likes this.
  18. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    The instrument I received a couple weeks ago from Sweetwater had some workmanship issues - I sent it back and requested another one.

That replacement showed up this weekend (it's awesome, a keeper) but this time I thought to snap a quick pic of the Sweetwater Warning label.

It wasn't Polar-Vortex cold, - it was in the low 30's so I only waited 2 hours before opening it. :D

Sweetwater-Cold-Warning-Label.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    porterbass likes this.
  19. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Trees live outside but don’t go from 10° to 70° in minutes.

20. Basses are made outta wood and metal brother, not rose petals.

A lot of us have traveled all winter long with our gear stored in a freezing trailer towed behind a car or a van.