Anyone insure their basses? Rigs?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BustinJustin, Sep 24, 2003.

1. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Maybe a silly question...?
    Good idea?
    Bad idea?
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    the local 802 has info on that.

there are other forms of insurance for gear (as a professional).

i think AFTRA may offer some through its locals as well.
  3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I insure. It gives me a sense of security. I have about 13K worth of Musical Instrument Insurance and the cost is about 135 a year

4. I've had my equipment insured under my home owners policy via a "musical instrument rider" for some time now. Many insurance companies will frown on this if you use your equipment "professionaly".

My insurance policy paid out when we were broken into some 3 yrs. ago, and some of my basses were stolen. I actually collected more than the basses were worth because the adjuster obtained some very high estimates for replacement over the internet.
  5. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Who through? Clarion mabye? I'm also about to take the plunge so the more info and options the better.:confused:
  6. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Check your renters or homeowners policy for coverage and exclusions. If you have one.

And with your insurance rep. Policies differ remarkably on coverage. If you are a homeowner, it can often be very cheap to add a valuable items or home electronic equipment rider to the existing policy at a very nominal cost, once again the agent can help you.

Then again, Jaco slept with his on a bench ...
  7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I couldn't use a rider on my home owners because I use it for work. Mine is a seperate policy with Travelers. There is a 500 deductable but everything is insured for list price. So the dedutctable becomes a non-issue

8. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    :D thanx guys!!! great info!!!!

XavierG- good story, point well taken!

anyone in the NYC area?... if you use an agent your happy with, share the love and pls advise:)

thanx again!
  9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

My Basses and guitars are all insured through my homeowners insurance. It won't cover me outta the house(gigging for ex.), but since I buy only new off the rack stuff, I could replace it easy enough without feeling like I lost a '59 Precision or something.
  10. My homeowners' insurance offered me $5000 for "computer equipment", which we didn't have at the time, so I had them change it to "musical equipment."
  11. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    There's a thread over in the DB side about a few different companines. I checked into Music Pro Insurance, if i was 18, i would have their insurance. $50 min premium if i remember correctly and i think it's only $10 per $1k of equipment. That's all
  12. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I must chime in about my experience with Clarion. I paid about $100 US the first year, then they raised it to $250 the next year, then $500! That's when I bailed on them. Possibly they didn't want any Canadian customers. . .
  13. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I've heard of a number of people using Music Pro insurance. I've looked at them myself and may sign up with them. I've used the household goods riders too, but since I do this as a sideline business, I'm treading on thin ice.

I recently incorporated as an LLC this year to better separate my personal assets/income from my business assets. By doing this, you open a whole new set of doors in terms of personal/equipment insurance, health benefits, taxes, writeoffs, etc...