Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone into Grand Prix?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by babybassist, Jul 21, 2002.

1. babybassist

babybassist

Apr 18, 2001
    Kent, England
    Someone here must have seen the race in Magny cours today? Schumachers 5th World title????? Grrrrrrrrrrrrr I hate that guy, he has God on his side!!!! I'm a Coulthard supporter me. That race was gifted to him. And he overtook Raikonnen, allegedly under yellow flags which is against the regulations. Ron Dennis (head of McLaren team) was so mad when ITV interviewed him! What does everyone think is gonna happen with that? Come on there must be some Grand Prix peeps here??? Lets have some healthy debate....or a good healthy arguement!

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    My brother's into Grand Prix - but he doesn't play bass. Oh well, sorry.....

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i love GP but i missed the last race. thanks for spoiling it :p

seriously tho, ferrari has the best car and Schumacher is the best driver. so of course he's going to win until someone is better. i think mclaren and williams are getting close with their cars but i'd give schumacher a few more years before he'll have any competition.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i hate Schumacher too. and i hate Grand prix too, nothing can be so boring in sport.

5. Grand Pri is cool, but I'm more of a Le Mans/Trans-Am kinda guy. The Le Mans race today was great, held in Washington DC. Jan Magnessun(sp?) took the checkered flag in the Audi R8 for the LMP900 class. But what impressed me more was that the Ferrarri team took 2nd in the GTS class. This is their first season in quite a while for them, and I'm glad to see that they can still deliver.

Rock on
    Eric

6. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    So true.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    try watching NASCAR, you'll change your mind.

I think i like Lemans more, just for the variety involved.

8. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Well this year F1 has been sort of boring due to the flat out superiority of the Ferrari car. There are a couple drivers who, given the support and the ride that Schumi has, could really challenge. Give Villeneuve the right car, and he can go head-to-head (as in 1997). I think that Montoya will actually turn out to be a superior driver to Schumi if he can mature little bit as a driver.

9. I'm really into Grand Prix myself. I went over to the Belgian Grand Prix last year which was amazing, great atmosphere.

I saw the race today, I couldn't believe it when Raikonnen lost the lead so near the end. Regarding the yellow flags, Schumacher did get past Raikonnen when they were waving, but Raikonnen had pretty much gone off the circuit at the time, so I guess the officials viewed it a bit differently as to how they would view a 'normal' overtake.

While I'm not exactly anti-Schumacher, it would be nice to see him get a bit of competition. Unfortunately, as Warwick5S says, I don't think that'll happen for at least a couple more years. What annoys me is how Williams have qualified really well this year, especially Montoya, yet come race day they just don't have the pace that the Ferraris have :confused:

Another point, I think that Jenson Button's been a bit unfairly treated. In my opinion he's done pretty well this year, better than Trulli anyway, yet he still gets the boot! Hmm, maybe the fact that Flavio Briatore, the Renault team principal, is also Trulli's manager.....

10. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Yay circles! :D

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    saw the replay a few hours ago. schumi is pretty lucky kimi locked it up but it's not like he wouldn't have won the world championship eventually. raikkonen really impressed me tho. he's gonna be a bad mother in a few years. i think mclaren might even have a shot at the manufacturers championship as early as next year. those williams cars dont look so good tho.

i think next year schumi will take the 6th, retire, and then we're in for some racing :)

12. What happened to Mika Hakinnen? Did he retire?

I've gone to the Indy and Canadian F1 events, and regularly attend CART events.

Villeneuve and Montoya are both excellent drivers.
    Montoya needs to mature, even though he has alot of good experience, being a F1 test driver B4 he went to CART. Villeneuve is very cocky, and needs to get over himself. Maybe then he can get hired by a winning team. There are a lot of great drivers, but you got to have the right driver/manufacturer/team combo. A sponser with a lot of dough helps too.

I'm tired of watching Michael win, that's why I've been more into the CART thing lately (I've been going to indy car/cart events for 20 years). There's so many drivers capable of winning. You don't just expect one driver to win, and be surprised if he doesn't.

I'm even going to my first (gasp) IRL event this September. Even though they run on ovals, they have had some competitive racing lately.

13. F1 takes up a big chunk of my life, I haven't missed a race since the start of 1994.

Well done to Michael Schumacher, undoubtedly one of the greatest of all time. As for the incident when Kimi Raikkonen went off, what else could he do? Kimi went off the track, Michael could hardly have come to almost a complete stop. Anyway, it was a superb race! And the German GP is on next week too!! (Unfortunatly though it's on the recently castrated Hockenheim track :( ... but it's on next week! :cool: )

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

He wanted a year off - but yesterday he was saying he wasn't coming back so the answer is now yes, I suppose.

In answer to thread - I was into Grand Prix racing - I went to the British Grand Prix several times and the Belgian Grand Prix.

But that was when there was some real racing and even "gasp" some overtaking - not just in the pits!! ;)

So - I saw Nigel Mansell win several times and this was becuase he had had overtaken Nelson Piquet. Alain Prost or Ayrton Senna.

In those races, it wasn't just one person who was certain to win - since Schumacher it has just giot very very boring!

The other reason I don;t go any more is Silvestone - hate it! And the prices they charge are way over the top.

I saw Nigel Mansell win twice at Brands Hatch and this was much better course for spectators - it is a natural "bowl" so you can see a lot more of the track - I also saw Martin Brundle win teh World SportsCar championship there in a Jaguar.

Silverstone is completely flat, so you are very lucky to get any sort of view - better off watching oon TV! :(

15. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Nigel Mansell, the lion! A great driver and a great guy!!!

16. babybassist

babybassist

Apr 18, 2001
    Kent, England
    It has been boring this season, you're right, with 8/11 races won by Schumacher. He practically pushed Raikonnen off the track, did you see the replay at the other angle? He skidded on oil or something when Mc Nish went off.
    Indy/Nascar aint very well televised in the UK, so I dont get to see it. Wouldn't mind though. God I wish I could go to a Grand Prix! My Dads driven round Brands Hatch, you know those gift days you can buy people? We got him one of those, made his day!:D

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've walked all round Brands Hatch!! ;)

I went to see the "endurance" racing Sports Car class with a few friends and it was a 6-hour race. So after seeing the start, somebody said - why don't we walk all round the course?

It took hours! But was interesting - the speed down the strights was incredible. So we were watching cars with 7 litre or 5 litre plus turbo engines - they went over 250 miles an hour on the straight - faster than Formula 1!

18. F1 is DEEEEEEEEPPPPPLLLYYY dull since they changed all the rules to make it nearly impossible to overtake.

Schumaker takes pole = Schumaker wins race

BORING.

19. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    McLaren would have a shot this year if it wasn't for the piece of junk engine Mercedes gave them. Look at how they did at Monaco where grip counts over power. Williams is the opposite having a killer engine and a so-so chassis. Give McLaren the BMW engine and you have a car capable of challenging Ferrari.

20. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    F1=ZZzzZZZzz