1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone into jam bands?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Urbs, Mar 16, 2004.

1. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    MA
    Any TBers that dig the awesome sounds of Phish, The Dead, Widespread Panic, String Cheese Incident?

2. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    ^^^ Didn't I look cool in high school?
    not so much The Dead, but the Grateful Dead were the best band of all time. atldeadhead is also a TB member. i also love phish, umphrey's mcgee, the disco biscuits, etc.

3. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I spent my whole musical life jammin.

Never wanted to do covers I didn't like and got bored playing the
    same song the same way twice.

Sure, I grew up on Quicksilver, the Dead, Airplane, Big Brother, Moby
    Grape, Spirit, NRBQ, Sons of Champlin, Hendrix, and a ton of other
    stuff that you don't hear anymore.

Yeah, I love jam bands!

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

OT IS FOR NON MUSIC. Just a heads up. Rock on!!

5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Ok.

Speaking of heads up, your head is UGLY !!!!!!

*360 rotation + pea soup*

:D

6. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    MA
    I though I was posting in the wronf forum... :bag:

Shouldve put the Grateful Dead, too.

7. Ace123

Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I love jam bands. I saw phish this winter in december at albany and it was just incredible. Jam Bands represent talented musicians experimenting, rocking, and just having fun.
    My favorite jam bands: Phish, The Slip, MMW (you could call them jam), and the Grateful dead of course.

By the way: how much does "pop" and "punk" music suck after listening to jam music for your whole life?

8. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Jam bands are cool.
    I'm a loser I like Dave Mathews(i didn't spell that right) Band

9. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    hmm...............

10. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    back in my younger days of high school i was all about the jam bands.....saw phish about 8 times....i was into that whole scene man. now that i'm in my winters years (24) i'm not really into that stuff anymore. i find i need more structure and clarity. i mean i like to jam out myslef but the whole phish, widespread vibe has become dead to me.

i love the dead....but not their jams...

and no MMW IS NOT A JAM BAND!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    and no MMW IS NOT A JAM BAND!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL!

I was playing real Book jazz tunes in the local pub one open mike night with a couple of killer jazzgrass types. The bar manager is a sweetheart rasta type; she books tonnes of Jambase type bands. So she says: "wow you guys could be the local jam band, no problem." This was pretty funny, since I've been playing Dead tunes regularly since the early 70s, and nearly everyone else I play with is closer to being a jam band than those guys.

Anyway, I got into jazz partly from hearing Phil Lesh talk about Miles and Ornette about thirty years ago. Having seen the Grateful Dead several dozen times by then, I was already a little tired of the jam deal. I still love the classic stuff like the Allman Bros, and I hear plenty of the newer bands by virtue of working in the local clubs. The Slip is pretty cool, they borrow from some great sources. I get to mix a fair number of the west coast jam bands (we call them hippie bands here, actually). Tony Furtado and Hanuman are two of my favorites. I don't go to big shows anymore, so Phish and the like are off my radar screen. I'm personally glad that any live bands are still popular and working regularly. One pet beef is that so many of these bands think that vocals can be treated as an afterthought. OTOH, I might never have started singing myself had I not seen Garcia get away with so much.

For me as well, playing the jam stuff is a lot more fun than listening to it. But to maybe steer this more on topic, who are some up and coming bassists in the genre? Not talking Oteil or Wooten, here, let's talk fresh meat.

12. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I've never really liked the term "jam band" but I am definitely into music that is of a more improvisational nature. As far as that goes, I would say MMW are definitely an improvisation based group.

Some of my favorites are:

Grateful Dead (of course :D )
    Phil & Friends
    Phish
    Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey (Bassist is Reed Mathis. An incredible up-and-comer)
    ABB
    Steve Kimock Band
    Jefferson Airplane
    JGB

I also like to listen to a lot of jazz and fusion. Miles Davis, Coletrane, Jimmy Smith, Return to Forever, Al Dimeola. I pretty much like anything that breaks the more structured song mold. There might be more of an outline to a song but no set in stone parts. IMHO, improvisation is where the real magic can happen. To me there is nothing like playing along with some cats and everyone hitting on the same musical *idea* at the same time completely unrehearsed. I don't have an aversion to more structured situations (I play in one of the many prasie bands at church) but there's nothing like those magical moments that happen during free form jams.

13. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    "jamb band" to me is a rock / groove type music band that improvises into long jams.

most decent musicians improvise so i wouldn't say a jazz band that improvises is a jamb band (like mmw)

14. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    when i was single well at least didn't have kids i was really into the jam band scene especially phish there are people that have been to way more but i have seen phish 87 times...and i used to just go the the sommerville theatre outside boston every friday night and see all kinds of bands like the slip, strange folk, percy hill, god street wine ,gibb droll, jiggle the handle, and a million more ( i know some of these aren't exactly jam bands but they are kind of related) i miss those days...i just get tired now

15. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    in less you count mmw's early albums(i think theyre first two), mmw is a lot closer to being a jam band than a jazz group.

16. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    "i miss those days...i just get tired now"

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------

4 of mmw's 8 or so albums are pretty close to straight up jazz (friday, jungle, notes, tonic). even the one's that aren't are are still jazzy. one of the main driving forces behind jazz is constant experimentation and change which is exactly what mmw is doing.

17. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    MA
    Dave Mathews is awesome. Definately one of my favs.

Yea the term Jam Bands kinda sucks, its like Punk or Pop (which I agree sucks!).

The improvistation and long jam sessions are amazing.

Phishhead here!

Anyone going to Las Vegas?

18. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I really like the Grateful Dead, JGB, and Allman Bros. Enjoyed much of it live in the 80s. I enjoy some Phish, particularly Junta, but they start to annoy me pretty quickly. I am not impressed at all with moe or String Cheese. IMO moe is a run of the mill college hippy band. String Cheese is cool for about a song or two and then I tire of it. Widespread is ok. I like Blues Traveler.

19. leftundone

leftundone

Mar 14, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I like some Wide Spread & some of Phish's older music.

20. Jam music is pretty much all i listen to, well that and Christian rock (opposite ends of the spectrum aye?)

my favortie jam bands are...

Phish
    Bela Fleck and The Flecktones
    Umphrey's Mcgee
    SCI
    WSP
    STS9
    Disco Biscuits

To me jam music, like many forms of jazz in the purest form of music...there are no set boundries within the song, because many times there is no song just a groove or a spacey jam...so what ever you feel inspired to play at that moment is what you play, you are not constrained to the 3 1/2 minute "radio friendly" way of playing...you can actually experiment which to me tests your bounds as a musician every time you play...jam music isn't just a genre, it's a way of life :)

yah I'm a dork but I love my music!!!