Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone just NEED a new bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kingbrutis, Aug 31, 2005.

1. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    Alright, this ocd thing is really ok. Most stuff is pretty inexpensive that I need, but with basses it stinks. I need a 5 string that is light, has good playibility, has a mean sound and I wouldn't be afraid to get to get alot of use touring(with really roudy fans). I've been looking at Ibanez 705, Dean ash sledgehammer ( I have the mahogany and love it), Peavey G bass, Warwick thumb or vampyre. I just know it's time for a new or used bass. I like them all but, but am not sure I love any of them. Man mabey a Bongo, fricking ocd. Please tell me there are more like me out there. Later Joe

2. mlu

mlu

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    Well yes there is. When i shop for new basses i can never decide what the get. If you are asking for opinions (which you arnt, but i am going to give mine anyway) I think you should go with a used 5 string thumb bolton. Those this are light and as hard as a rock. The sound is to die for it is a magnifcent bass. I wouldnt own one if it wasnt a 5, because i think thats what they are made for imo.

3. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    I know exactly how you feel! I'm in a bass buying mood BIG TIME!!! I go into G.C. in Tempe every couple of weeks and just touch everything. Nothing in there has grabbed me just right yet. If i make the mistake of going to the Bass Place, I get an adrenaline rush like you wouldn't believe! I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet tho. I know it's coming! :bassist:

4. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I'm with you. The bass place has alot of nice stuff. It is nice to just grab any bass you want without someone over you trying to get you to buy. The more I look at Dingwall, the more I think I need one. Need it I tell you. BTW, I'm just outside of PHX. Nice place to live. Later Joe

5. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    I'm out in Chandler. Do you have any other stores that you would recommend in the Phx area?

I know what you mean about trying out gear at the Bass Place. They are really great about letting you try stuff without pressure or trying to strong arm you into buying.

6. Bassosaurus

Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    Hey, I'm a desert rat too! But from the much better city to the SW of y'all ;) :)

I do actually NEED a bass, well kind of. After a 7 year hietus I'm getting back into thumpin'. My wife found an old $125 jp p-bass I've been playing (which is actually very nice!), but I'm looking for another 5-string.

My last was a 5-string fretless MM. I may go for another MM but am checking out Warwicks too. Love the bolt-on-thumb sound and looks but it's body's awful small and it doesn't balance.

Def. want wider string spacing than the typical warwick 5.

Do any of the Pheonix stores have a streamer stage I (though I probably can't spend that much!) or other Warwicks? - maybe I can custom order another model to have wider string spacing.

Anyhow, eems like I need to check out the Bass Place before I buy anything.

7. ChristineMFer

ChristineMFer

Jul 28, 2005
    The bass place is cool. They're very knowledgeable about all of the instruments (as opposed to guitar center employees). I bought a American PBass from those guys. I remeber them telling me the Lakland P's were a lot nicer than the Fenders. Damn I wish i had listend to them, now I want a lakland. :rolleyes: The only drawback to the bass place is the prices.. but they could probably order just about any bass you wanted.

Guitar and Keyboard city is ok. THey have a good selection of G&L's. Worth checking out!

Guitar Center carries Warwicks, Rick's, Fender, MM, Ibanez, etc. most of the big name manufacturers.

8. Not anymore. It's all GAS-aholic buying, now.

9. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    Agter watching all the TV coverage, I cant even begin to think about spending money on a bass when people are starving and do not have water. Words just can't explain. Later Joe

10. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    I was just at the GC getting a new strap and some Schallers for my Stingray. They had a bunch of new Bongos on the wall.

I'd go for that. Of course, I like EB MMs.

11. Splanky

Splanky

Jun 10, 2002
    Gothenburg Sweden
    I bought the Egytian Smoke MM Bongo 4 from The Bass Place a week ago :D
    Had a nice chat with

The only hazzle now is to get on the plane and get it back home to sweden...

Will write a report on the EB/MM forum in a short while

//Henrik

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Yes you do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I despise the puke green Dingwall but adore the red sparkle. Clearly I have bad taste in bad taste... ;)

But man oh man, those blues, especially the darker with maple board. I'd consider going fanned-fret for that one. :eek:

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    The green one makes me sweat and have naughty dreams.

It's owned by Lee Sklar.

Lee Sklar does not make me sweat or have naughty dream.

The blue one on top is mine...it's really a bit darker in real life. Here's another shot of it's top:

[​IMG]

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    LOL. Do you think the folks in New Orleans are the first to be hungry and thirsty? They've had to deal with it for a week. Billions of people in other parts of the world know hunger and thirst as a way of life. Are the people in New Orleans more important than the people in Bangladesh or Sudan? How much gear have you ever bought? Did you consider the less fortunate before you bought it?