1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone know a good amp repairman(woman) in the MD, DC, VA area?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Apr 27, 2010.

1. I dunno if this is appropriate to post here (though i can't see why not)...

I have a Peavey Mark VI that is powering up, but has absoloutly NO output. I don't even get the staticy 'pop' sound when i plug/unplug the instrument cable.

So, i was wondering if anyone knows a good rapair man in my area? I only spent $75 on the amp, and the closest place charges $200 for repair (seriously).

Thanks!

2. mcr23

mcr23

Apr 15, 2010
    whatever you do don't go to Musictechnology.

They do GREAT work but they take forever to do it and charge a healthy amount. There is a place in Falls Church that is apparently good. I need to think of their name but it should narrow down your search. :bassist:

3. check out...

http://www.unclealberts.com

This guy lives about 10 minutes from me and is a tech for many famous bands.

Id suggest calling him, his name is Kevin.
    and ask him to recommend a guy in your area.
    or you could ship it to him.

he has worked on everyone from green day to the stones amps
    he should be able to help.

4. mcr23

mcr23

Apr 15, 2010
    I tihnk it's called Action Music (Falls Church)

5. Word... a little steep, but worth a look.

6. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Peaveys sometimes have a problem with the FX send and return jacks causing problems. Sometimes a simple cleaning of the jacks will restore the sound.

7. Hmmm... maybe i'll blast some compressed air in 'em.

8. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    generous amounts of contact cleaner and run a 1/4 plug in and out of it a gazillion times.

9. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA

i just dropped a V4 off for them to work on. their tech picks up once a week (thursday) and ive been told it takes about 5-7 days to an answer about the problem. its $50 for the diagnosis, and if you proceed with the repairs, that $50 is washed away and its $65 an hour plus parts.

ill admit ive never taken anything to a tech so i have no idea how expensive that is or isnt, but im pretty sure they do good work. im also looking for another alternative if im paying too much.

10. Hmm... didn't know that $50 was waived... that's not too bad then.

11. mcr23

mcr23

Apr 15, 2010
    musictechnology has a minimum bench charge somewhere between 150-200.

12. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    I would look up local shops that trade lots of vintage tube amps. They will generally know good techs. Have to ask around, and get recommendations. If you come up to southeast Pa., I can recommend a shop that has several techs.

13. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Good advice to check the 1/4 send/return jacks.

Have you considered contacting Peavey customer service?

It's been mentioned on TB that they are pretty reasonable about fixing and refurbishing their stuff.

If you like the head and you consider it a "keeper" it may be worthwhile to give them a call.

Good luck.

14. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Check if it has a blown fuse. If it has a fuse, it'll be somewhere close to the power cord. It's a easy thing to change and will save you some repair money.

15. That was my first thought. But it turns on fine, there's just nothing when i plug the instrument cables in.

16. climb

climb

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Are you near Baltimore? There's a small amp shop in downtown Baltimore (near North Ave/Greenmount) that is basically a one man operation. The owner (Brooks Harlan) is a real nice guy and helped me out with my Sadowsky SA200. His rates are reasonable, and I think he'd help you out with this at a very reasonable price especially given the price of the amp. Located in some old recording studio; he has a myspace page. PM me if you want more contact info.

17. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA

thats what i was told (or at least what i thought i was told).

18. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Have you tried the head with different speakers? Could be that the speaker has blown it's protection fuse. Look for that, it'll be either on the jack plate or the crossover (on the inside of the speaker box) Should be easy enough to check even if you have to remove the jack plate to get to the cross over.