Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone know about a aluminum neck kramer?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve-o, May 18, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    found in a guitar shop
    mid 80's aluminum neck with wood strips.
    body is mutli pieces. dark wings light color wood a strip of the dark and then the light color wood and then the dark wing.
    it looks great!
    asking $395 with a anvil hardcase!

steve

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    My uncle has one. It's a heavy mother, but sounds great!

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    You might find this of interest vaccaroguitars.com.

Mr. Henry Vaccaro, Sr., the Chairman of the Board of Vaccaro, is not new to the guitar industry. He was one of the original founders and partner of Kramer Music Products, Inc., a premier American guitar manufacturing company. Mr. Vaccaro served as a board member from 1976 until 1982 when he was elected Chairman of Kramer's Board of Directors. He successfully guided the company into becoming one of America's largest guitar manufacturers with sales in 1987 exceeding $15,000,000. His experience and leadership at Kramer have provided for the drive and determination necessary to bring the next guitar manufacturing super company to market.

4. The body is walnut and the stripes down the middle are maple. If it's a double cutaway similar to a P-bass with one active Dimarzio split P pickup, it's a DMZ model 4000. If it looks as I described, but has two chrome soap bar pickups it's a 450B and made in the mid to late 70's. Those old Kramers are terrific basses. I bought my DMZ4000 new in 79 and I've still got it. :)

5. rogereeve

rogereeve

Mar 3, 2001
    uk
    I owned a Kramer Bass similar to what you describe during the 80's. Its was a very nice instrument and attracted a lot of attention, from what i can remember it took a lomg time for the neck to come to room temperture, and the coolness in your hand was an odd sensation!!! It was also a little difficult to keep in tune, i suppose because of the expansion of the neck as the venue got hotter. My advice would be, go for it sounds a good deal.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I had a DMZ Kramer, kind of wish I'd kept it.

7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i am sorry it isn't $395 it is $295!
    it has two chrome pups that say kramer on them
    it looks awsome.
    do you think i should try to get it?
    how much are they worth?

steve

8. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I always wanted one myself. Kind of the heavy predecessor to the graphite neck. I think they sound great.

By the way, I think Kramer made a bunch of different aluminum neck basses (including the headless Duke) and they vary greatly in terms of their electronics. They range from the very simple to the fairly complex (for the time) active systems and the sound varies accordingly. My personal advice is that if it is one of those dual p-pickup ones with active electronics and lots of switches, go for it!

9. BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!! That's a 450B! They're one of the best models Kramer made and they're also getting pretty hard to find. $295 is great price for a 450B in good shape.

If you don't buy it let me know who has it and I'll buy it...I'm dead serious.

10. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    There is a little music store in neosho missouri that has about 10 of them hanging on the wall! They are fun to jam on.

11. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i am trying to buy it!!!
    i just bought a new bass (spector)
    and only have a hundred now and trying to talk my parents into it!!
    it looks awsome!!!

12. :D

13. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i think i talked my mom into it
    i will get back to you later!!
    i hope i get it!!]

steve

14. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    here is a pic of it

15. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
  16. My oh my, that...is...sweet!

17. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I know a man who has a Kramer Just like that one. It plays and sounds pretty decent. Especially for $295 :)

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sweet! You got a killer deal on that one! If you ever sell it, you should be able to get at least $450 for it.

19. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    HEY my mom said yes!!!
    and she has to put the money for it in my dads business acount!!!

i can't wait to have it!!!
    it is a fixer uper!
    the knobs don't match!
    there are some small nicks in teh back of the neck.
    i can fix that!
    what kind of knobs do i use?
    should i replace the frets?
    with what type?
    should i replace the finish?

steve

20. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    yep tomorrow i will get the bass!!!!
    i can't wait!!!!!!!!

steve