Anyone know about a Ric. copy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve-o, Jun 29, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    ok. i went to the music store get pics of my bass.
    when i was putting it up in the back room. laying against the wall was a body and a neck.
    it looked exaclty like a Rickenbacker!
    so i asked Brad. (a guy that works there) about the bass. he said he has been threating to put it together. asked him if he wanted to sell it. he said $40.
    the neck has the shark fin inlays too!
    the body is perfect! the headstock couldn't be any closer! it has the mahagony strip through the whole neck.
    i think i am going to get this when i sell my spector. so i have a bass to play in the meantime.

2. it's probably an Ibanez 2388b Rick Bass. I've got one myself (built in 1973) and it's a great bass. Don't know how the original pu's sound since someone that owned the bass before had put "real" rick pu's in it (and a Rickbacker trussrod cover). My bass looks and sounds like a real rick and I've seen them getting sold for $ 500 (in a very good condition though), so $ 40 really is a great deal. Go for it!
  3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Ibanez made one (who didn't they copy?) back in the 70's.
  4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    yep that looks just like it!
    but mine is natrual.
    by the way. is the inlay like sparkerly on that ibanez?

5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    and is it a bolt on neck?

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
  7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    this is the one!!
    how much are these worth?
    i have never seen one before.
    does anyone know where to find one for sale or any info?
    thank everyone!!

8. I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread, I've looked everywhere for Rick clones. I can't afford a real Rick, but no one will know the difference, right?:D
  9. ChaosGwar believe me, noone will know the difference! especially when you change the pick ups with some real Rickenbackers and replace the Ibanez trussrod cover with a Rickenbacker one!:D

These basses used to cost about $ 340 in 1973, which would be about $935 nowadays.
    I found mine in a local shop for $250, but they seem to be worth a little more. An Ibanez collector once offerd me $800 for mine. I guess it all depends on what condition it's in, and how old it is (like I said mine is from 1973).

Here are some specs on the 2388b series:

Rick Bass
    No 2388B
    Body: Birch Top Mahogany Back
    Neck: Bolt On Neck laminated Maple
    Fingerboard: Rosewood with Pearl Triangles .
    Pickups: 2 Chrome Bass pickups
    Controls: 2 volume, 2 tone, 3 way
    Bridge: Chrome Bridge/ Tailpiece
    Finish: Maroon, Black, Natural
    Hardware: Chrome
    Length: 44.5"
    Width: 19.25 X 14
    Frets: 20
    Scale: 33.5"

Check out for lots of info on vintage Ibanez'ez