Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone know about an A-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RudeMood, Jan 23, 2006.

1. RudeMood

RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Does anyone have experience with A-Basses? These are custom made basses and the guy who made them is now retired. I think the "A" comes from his first name, Alby, or something like that.

They look a lot like a Lakland DJ to me - a modified Jazz shape. Has anyone owned or played one of these creatures.?

2. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    The old bass DJ played was made by Albey, I believe he worked with Lakland on design of the current DJ which is probably why they look similar as far as I know he's quit building and went back to full gigging, I've never played one but people I know who did say his basses are real good.

3. djcruse

djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    My understanding is that when Albey Balgochian decided to stop building basses, he gave Darryl a heads-up. Darryl said something to the effect of, "Who can make me basses of this caliber?" After some looking, Albey and Darryl worked with Dan Lakin to create the Lakland Darryl Jones Signature bass. Initially it was a 4-string Skyline. A 5-string Skyline came next and this past year the 4-string U.S. version became available - primarily due to one of the enthusiasts of the model: Adam Clayton of U2.

4. I've heard of an A-bomb, but no A-Bass!

5. Danny Morris, an excellent bass player and ensemble director at Berklee plays an A-bass precision.

6. I had an 'A' bass which was essentially a J bass. It was an absolutely EXCELLENT bass with top notch build quality. The only reason I sold mine was that all of my other basses are 5's and I found it too difficult to switch back and forth between 5's and a 4.

'A' basses are Extremely difficult to find.

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    As said, A Basses are top quality instraments.
    Albey is a well known bassist in the New England area.
    Stop making basses, top play full time.
    A fine upright and electric player.

8. AmPb100

AmPb100

Apr 25, 2005
    Berklee/Boston

That bass is beautiful and sounds amazing. I got a chance to play it in an ensemble. Chunky neck like an upright, and just felt amazing.

9. Danny Mo can make it sound like an upright too, which is really quite something.

A really great teacher/musician.

10. RudeMood

RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    What would be the better choice, an A-Bass or a Lakland DJ since they seem similar? I'm think resale on a lakland would be easier. Just curious to hear others' opinions.

11. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Well the A Bass would be hard to find...

12. LiamCohl

LiamCohl

Jan 29, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    Danny is a great teacher, a wonderful person and a just unbelievable musician and bass player, if anyone on this forum ever gets a chance to take a lesson or class from him or to just hang out with him for a bit it is always great. And that bass is without a doubt the nicest sounding p bass I have ever heard.

13. If you decide on an 'A' bass you better be ready for a LONG wait. They're almost impossible to come by. In the last six years or so I have only seen two for sale.

14. djcruse

djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    First, I'm admittedly biased.

But as was mentioned, A Basses are harder to find. Since Albey isn't making them anymore, you'll only find them used. You won't have a warrantee or color choice or choice of customizations.

15. http://www.basspalace.com/dynamic/displaybass/4StringBass/3917

Not sure if this is still available. The Swami had a sunburst Jade Bass in stock last year. There was an early A-Bass (with the narrower headstock) on eBay before the holidays. I communicated with the seller and he also owns a deluxe model with a figured top and an Aguilar preamp that is going to eBay at some point.