Anyone know about black tapewounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by wishbasser, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Hey all, i was wondering....does anyone know about black tapewound strings? I'm thinking about using them, but i don't know how they sound...they're pretty expensive, so i don't want to waste my money on a product that i won't like. Any help will be appreciated. :D
  2. They aren't that expensive, Fender has them for about $20 a set.
  3. I use 'em on my fretless. They are superior to the stock Fender flats that the bass came with.
  4. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Carvin sells Labella tapewounds for $19, and they sound great. I've always been amazed at how durable the nylon is. I've abused them for a long time, and they continue to sound good.
  5. Well, how's the output on those strings? I guess it would be less than that of roundwounds, right?
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I used Picato nylons years ago - very thumpy sound. As SMASH says, they made me think of an upright.

Output was okay. Fingertips kind of dragged on them compared to stainless steel.

Don't expect any brilliance, "zing" or to use them for pop and slap.

The upside, if you wan't to look at it this way, is - you definitely won't sound like the guys playing in the other 10 clubs on the avenue.
  7. Labella makes them, and I think that Thomastik does as well. I know that the LaBellas are pretty damn spendy at GC, even down to dead cost. I don't know how Carvin would be selling them at $19 a pack when our cost is about $28.

Rock on
  8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I just got a 5 string set of LaBella tapewounds from Carvin for $24. Since that's what they put on their acoustic/electric, my guess is that LaBella simply gives them a better price than they give GC.

I like the way they sound on my ABG. Good tone, and nice thump.

Oh, and Thomastik doesn't make a tapewound set.
  9. LaBella probobly sells them to Carvin cheaper, becuase Carvin is OEM. Companies always usually have cheaper deals with OEMs than they do retailers.
  10. I would just like to say thanks to everyone who posted here. Everyone's input has helped me reach a decision. They are going on my ibanez fretless as soon as my flatwounds wear out ( that possible?! :confused: )

Thanks guys
  11. i've got some fender flat tapes...
    they work pretty good
    albeit the bass isnt in commission any more they strings still sound good and thump pretty good