1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone know about drums?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by puddin tame, Oct 23, 2010.

1. puddin tame

puddin tame

Aug 14, 2010
    I know this is talkbass but I figure some people here might have some wisdom that could help my band out with our drum kit. We're gonna try drum forums too but I know a lot of guys here play multiple instruments. Here is the message from my drummer

"Hi guys !

Ok so basically i bought a second hand mapex kit a couple of month ago. Everything was fine until recently when the toms 1 and 2 stopped ringing...

What happens exactly is that the toms sounds fine when i tune them and even attach them to the mounting but as soon as i plug the mounting into the bass drum they stop ringing. It's like the bass drum is muffling their sound, totally absorbing the resonance...

I.ve tried a few things like moving the joints inside the hole in the B-drum, tuning the B-drum differently, nothing works ! Those toms won't ring as soon as they are plugged into to B-drum...

Ideas anyone ?

PS: the kit is the really basic one from mapex, voyager series "

2. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    I play drums, but I take the "bottom head" out, so my drums don't "ring". You could try to tune them mounted on if you haven't yet.

3. puddin tame

puddin tame

Aug 14, 2010
    Our problem is we want them to ring. The were when we first got it but then they just stopped one day

4. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    That is so odd...I mean, have you tried every possible tuning? Tune them attached to the bass drum and see what happens. Maybe something is loose, in a way that the vibration gets lost in the way.

5. Try a new set of heads.

-eSmith.

6. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    Once a tom is mounted, it restricts the movement and chokes it a bit, but it shouldn't go totally dead. Hard to say without seeing it.

7. Not 100% sure, but I would bet that you have to tune the bottom head along with the batter head, so you get resonance. If they're tuned differently, they're cancelling each other out.

8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    You definitely have to tune the bottom head and it sounds like you need new ones too.

9. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    Can we get some pictures? Sound files?

Mounting the toms onto the bass should change the sound of the bass more than the toms.

The heads sound fine since you said they ring the way you want when mounted but not on the bass.

I'm not sure how much ring is lost but it sounds like something is touching the bottom heads at least. Are the toms mounted so nothing is touching them other than the mounting arms even when you're hitting them? I mean nothing touching the rims, sides, heads, or anything.

Did anything else change when they went dead? Any change in the room or kit?

If you have the bass away from the cymbals and hold the mounted toms by the mount rod above the bass, do they ring?

Put the mount rod about 2" into the bass and tighten the mount. Do they ring?

10. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan

I knew someone would mention these. They (supposedly) allow the drum to float more freely, but it's debatable. It's still attached to something.

At any rate, I doubt it'll cure the cause of a totally dead drum -- which can be anything from the angle it's positioned, to the way it's tuned -- none of which we can tell from a post.

11. I went to a Dave Weckl Drum Clinic and he demonstrated a before and after tom- tom sound and it was clearly a spectacular improvement, the drum really rang out and sounded awesome! with the isolation rim mounted.

12. dokazaado

dokazaado

Mar 25, 2009
    Empty Hills
    wow, that's a weird problem.
    I play drums, but I've always been a "rack tom in a snare stand" kind of guy.

13. ez-rhino

ez-rhino

Sep 8, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Bass and Drum Mercenary
    Start with tuning. Bottom heads need to be tuned also, not just the batter side.