Anyone know about GK motherboard?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phaneo, Feb 21, 2006.

1. phaneo

Mar 14, 2001
    Fort Worth TX
    I recently bought a GK 1001RB 210 combo on ebay. When I got it it wouldn't power up. "I should have sent it right back" instead I opened it up and found a plug undone. Put it back and it seemed to work fine. Well so passed the 7 day return policy from the seller. I played my first gig with it, seemed to sound good. Next weekend I plug it in at a gig and it sounds like i had blown a speaker. I looked around for a speaker and in the meantime called GK to see if they could send me one. I give the guy my serial number and he tells me it's more than likely the motherboard. That model had lots of problems, and they ended up replacing the boards on them. Well since I'm not the original owner and it's no longer under waranty it's $200 for the board plus shipping!! So I'm looking at easily $300!!! I only paid $500 for the amp. The guy I bought it from says sorry pal, not my problem. Anyone know anything about this situation, had this experience in the past? I'm screwed, sold my old rig, and we gig almost every weekend. Oh top it off the borrowed GK I used last weekend wouldn't work either! Thank god for my sansamp. Boy talk about a sick feeling playing a whole cover gig with no stage volume "air fingers" not fun. Why are the BASS GODS mad at me?
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The 1001RB's initially had problems with cold solder joints I believe and were fixed in the later runs. There are a few bad ones out there, but GK did their best for all the owners and replaced them. Perhaps your seller knew he had one of the bad amps and offed it instead of getting it fixed? Who knows.

I've loyally stood behind GK products and abused them hard for nearly four years without a hitch. GK fessed up to a bad design in the early years, fixed it as best they could considering they were already in the public. It then became the responsibility of the original owner to contact GK for a repair.

Maybe the owner knew about it and hosed you, maybe not.
  3. Putting the new boards in will essentially turn it into a 1001RB-II.
  4. phaneo

Mar 14, 2001
    Fort Worth TX
    Can I put a new board in myself to save the shipping?