Anyone know about Hopf double basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by skyno, Dec 19, 2001.

1. I have a 3/4 German style double bass that has the engraving "Original Hopf" on it - The guy I traded for it said it was from the mid 1900's - I am now looking to sell it, but don't know anything about it or what it's worth - it is in good shape, has a nice sounding pickup, it's set up for Jazz - low action, solid brownish wood construction.
    If anyone knows anything about this model, or is possibly interested, let me know.
  2. I would be interested, but you're a long way from me, and the shipping would be prohibitive.
  3. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    Send it Greyhound.

The Hopf family made instruments for a couple of hundred years. I've never seen a bass by them and the stamp "original Hopf" sounds unoriginal to me, but it doesn't matter. They made a Hopf model violin that was a bit different and not particularly successful. Most of the Hoph models that are not real Hopfs are as good or better than what that family made.

Publish some pics.
  4. coos albers

coos albers

Mar 30, 2008
    Hi ,
    Saw your call for people having an ''orignal hopf'' double bass ( 3/4 ). just for letting' you know ?
    At the moment i'm working on it to repair for example the fingerboard ( damaged by pressing the snares and pressing firmly while slapping the '' doghouse '' ).

greetz , coos albers