1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone know about these?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bottomfeedins, Apr 5, 2009.

1. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes! The Audition is a cheap novelty, something to buy if you're a collector of funky old Japanese oddities, but not something to buy if you just want a good player. The Ovation Magnum is a solid professional instrument that has a small (but devoted) fan base. Most people are put off by the looks, but if you like the looks then the only downside to them is the weight. They are heavy. But the tone, playability, and quality of construction are excellent.

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Oddly enough, I just happened to see this page this morning: http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/msg/1107891431.html

Which had this to say: It was made by Kawai in the 1960's and sold in the UK as "Auditon" brand. It was the house guitar in Woolworths Stores.

The other one is fairly well known, you'll probably find some good info if you either search on TB or google.

3. ^^heavy like a T-bird? Is the sound similar, since it's made of mahogany? The looks don't bother me at all. Looks good and beefy!!

4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    The "Audition" brand bass pictured in the first link is a Teisco made bass from Japan made during the mid 60's. Teisco were bought out by Kawai in 1967. Kawai continued to use the "Audition" brand during the late 60's into the early 70's which is why the craigslist "Audition" looks different.

These were beginner basses at best back then. Now they're wall hangers.

TD

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    boat paddles or firewood! :)

6. OK, so consensus says the Audition is crap?

7. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    If I had the money I'd snatch up that Magnum in a heartbeat.

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The Ovation is the real deal! :)

9. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    It is, and it's not particularly heavy at all. Mine weighs noticebly less than my ash-body P, for instance.

10. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Had a Magnum and should have never sold it. Great player and great sound. My only gripe was that it tended to neck dive a little.

11. Kind of looks like Jemaine's bass :p

(Flight of the Conchords)

12. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    MUST LET ME HAVE THE MAGNUM,,, YOU REALLY WANT THE OTHER GUITAR....ah heck I cant come up with the cash so buy it its well worth it!!!!!!!!!

13. Jemaine's a bass hero. I've been looking for his bass. The first time I saw it I said "Instant classic"!! must be a signature or something...:cool:

As far as neck dive, i think my strap can handle it. I have no problems with my T-bird, as it is known for that.

14. Hankamer126

Hankamer126

Aug 1, 2008
    Texas
    I think I recall seeing the Magnum on the "Ugliest Basses Ever" thread..
    haha regardless.. the thing's great from what i've heard about it.

that neck pickup is a force to be reckoned with.

15. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The Magnum I had was a bit over 10 lbs, but they may not all weigh the same. The sound is different because the pickups are quite different, but the Magnum tone can be a great hard rock tone.