Anyone know about this Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cogno, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    I just got this in a swap. Anyone have any History? It is a J B player. but the controversy is that they claim they don't make this.
  2. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    Here is the back
  3. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    Here is another.
  4. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Kinda' hard for them to say it isn't their's when there name is on the headstock!!! Looks pretty cool, How does it play/sound?

I remember back in my gtr playing days that JB Player was really trying to be an up-and-coming company that was different... they would do stuff like built in wireless, junk like that.... But I haven't heard anything from them in years.... I thought they were out of business.... Sorry that this wasn't much help!
  5. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    I don't have it yet. Got for a swap of an old 1928 Gretsch Banjo/Uke. I got it from Elderly instruments. They tell me it play real well and has a sound more like a Semi Hollowbody base than an acoustic . They compared it to a Washburn AB20. I did here that J B player made a few custom Instruments for a time. This may be one of those.
  6. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    looks like it is pretty good, with the binding, the bookmatch on the back (couldn't tell about the front, however), it looks like it has some nice touches that you would find on a better instrument... If you feel like your getting a deal, then you just might be!
  7. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Whatever it is, it looks great, and if it sounds good, who cares. :)
  8. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    Here is a response from J B Player: "Sorry for the delay in your response, I had to do some research.
    Your bass is model JB-EAB, and was made probably around 1990 in our Custom Shop. It is no longer in production. It has a solid spruce top and maple back and sides. The fingerboard is ebonized rosewood. It has a piezo bridge pick-up and active eq controls. This was the top of the line bass made by JB Player at that time.
    Hope this info helps.
  9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    *** is ebonized rosewood? :confused:
  10. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Rosewood that's been covered with a heavy, black lacquer paint. You see it often on the fingerboard of cheap uprights, less often on bass guitars.
  11. yeah i have a similar bass heres the pick of it. maybe this will help???
  12. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    What the ****?
  13. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    having a little fun with photoshop, are we?

14. photowhat? umm no it is my real bass yeah my real bass :)
  15. flipperwhite

Jul 12, 2001
    yeah JB Player is putting out some really nice stuff,I bought a strat copy guitar about 10 years ago for $300 it has a neck through hard rockmaple body,and is one of the finest guitars I have ever owned,it playes almost as good as my Zion Power glide.
  16. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I have a JBP Artist...Les Paul shaped 5 string. It's a killer player with a great tone. Lately, I find myself using it most of the time.
  17. Rthm

Dec 7, 2010
    hey like to get in touch with the company to id a bass did you do it?
  18. Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    Holy thread revival, batman! :eek:
  19. Hi.

Amen to that :D.

This must be a some kind of a record for a new member.

Welcome to TalkBass Rthm.

20. dose

Nov 2, 2008
    At least no one can whine about him not searching