Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone Know About TV Jones Thunder'Tron PUPs?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bassin' 'Round, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    Exactly what they are? How they sound? What, if anything, they may be comparable too?

Considering possibly using Thunder'Trons on a Warmoth 4-string fretted chambered body jazz w/Aggy obp-3. First choice is DarkStars, but don't know if they're available. Have heard all DS production is going to Lakland.

Any input appreciated. ;)

2. I've got some Thunder'trons coming (should be here this week) to try out in my Gretsch Broadkaster (shortscale hollowbody).

I'm hoping they're worth it ($240 US for 2).

3. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    bump

No one with any info at all?

4. Here's the TV Jones site: http://www.tvjones.com/pickups.htm

From what I can make out, they look like humbuckers.

If you've got any questions, you can talk to TV Jones direct. He answers the phone himself!

5. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    Thanks. That's the best plan.

6. The Thunder'trons arrived yesterday.
    It took a while to get them into my bass (Gretsch Broadkaster), as it's a hollowbody, and access to the pots seemed impossible to my untrained eye.

I ended up cutting the wire that joined the original pups to the pots, and joining that wire to the Thunder'tron.

Oh yeah, the Thunder'trons are slightly higher than the original pups. Luckily, my gretsch had a couple of shims in the pickup cavities that I could lever out.

I'm still not sure if i've done it right, as the bridge pickup sits half an inch higher than the neck pickup.

Oh well, how does it sound?

Much better! the Thunder'trons are twice as loud, and have much more character than the Filtertrons.

They are very full sounding pickups, not 'muddy' . The hollowbody adds thump and boing to the sound.

7. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    i really wanna hear a clip of these, i was curious to put them in a bronco, but at the cost its risky to do it without hearing them..