1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone know Aguilar GS112 port lengths? need some advice!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wyleeboxer, Mar 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Picked up a GS112 which had a Deltalite II 2512 speaker installed, seller said he modified the ports length (shorten I believe?) trying to get the most out of the cab. Anyone know the exact port lengths in these cabs or what would be the best length for optimal tone?

Thanks Ya'll

2. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    I got nuttin.

But if the prior owner shortened the ports, it probably added a bump in bass output (probably in the 100 Hz region) at the expense of reduced low frequency extension and reduced cone damping (reduced power handling and cone safety) at low frequencies.

wyleeboxer likes this.
  3. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    You might want to give Eminence and/or Aguilar a call. Aguilar will know the original speaker and port specs. Eminence might be able to help with recommended port options if you give them the internal box dimensions.

wyleeboxer and SJan3 like this.
  4. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks guys, Aguilar emailed me back, original port length is 4 3/4” these are cut down to about 1 1/2”.

Question would be... what would the optimal port lengths be with the deltalite 2512 thats in it? Trying to keep the neo in and get a nice tone as well :)

5. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    If you can provide me the internal volume of that cabinet and the diameter of the port then I can determine the original and modified tuning frequency. And of course provide the optimal tuning for the 2512.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Al Kraft likes this.
  6. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    I did measure the ports on a picture of the GS112 and calculated the internal volume (which should be approx 55liters). So, if I reverse engineer it I get a factory tuning of approx 43hz. The cut down version is approx 60hz.
    Well, none of these tunings are optimal for the 2512, best tuning for that driver would be approx 52hz. Which can be achieved by a port length of approx 2 3/4" :)
    But, if you like a little more "oompf" you could use the factory tuning of 43hz, the punchy version would be 52hz.

Al Kraft, wyleeboxer and nolezmaj like this.
  7. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks, Arjank. Yes going after a punchy tone not ompff or scooped. Thanks so much!

Al Kraft and Arjank like this.