Anyone know any good, cheap exercises?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rusty Chainsaw, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I'm kinda asking this on behalf of the missus... post-Xmas, she's discovered she's the heaviest she's ever been and she's freaked. She eats well and follows Weightwatchers, but the problem is, she works a desk job, drives there and back, and we don't have the spare cash to join a gym or anything like that, or to fork out on expensive workout gear.

Back in the UK, I'd have suggested swimming, but since we don't have access to a pool, and there are no such things as good public indoor swimming baths here in the US, nor local council-subsidised gyms, and jogging is mostly out of the question due to the fact that most of the roads around here don't have sidewalks (there's always the roads, but people around here drive like lunatics), we're stuck for ideas for good cardio exercise that doesn't involve going out and spending loads of money on home gym equipment that'll probably end up being used as a clothes horse anyway.

So, suggestions please! :D
  2. Why not get a pilates dvd or yoga or something like that? She can do it in the comfort of her own home at her own pace.

Otherwise, for quite cheaply you can buy a jack-stand that you attach to the back wheel of a bike. It raises the back wheel off the ground and turns it into a very cost effective exercise bike.

good luck!
  3. You could get a jump rope? And a swiss ball. Bosu's kick ass.
  4. That's a cool idea. Anyone know any specifics on exercising with jump ropes? I've got one somewhere and I'm looking to get a bit fitter before the academic year begins, and that sounds like a good idea.
  5. Hi Russ,

Running is actually a *really* good, cheap way to get fit. I know you mention that running is difficult because of lack of sidewalks, but one way around this is to join a running club. I ran with some great folks in Houston (Bayou City Road Runners) who had struck the right kind of balance between fun social activities and running. If you're out running with a bunch of people then motorists are less inclined to cut you up (so to speak). It's also great motivation to get out there and run - positive peer pressure.

Why not go along to a local park on a Sunday morning (prime running time). You'll probably find other joggers who you could sound out for information.

Try for some leads on running groups, or Google it...
    [EDIT - just did for you...]:

All the best,
    (Just getting back into running post Christmas and achilles tendonitis).
  6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
  7. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Have you checked with your town's rec department? I know in my area the school pools are open certain evenings to do laps and they have cheap instructor led classes like water yoga and such. It couldn't hurt to give your rec department a jingle.