Anyone know any good MIDI preamps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ThePaste, Mar 8, 2001.

1. Well, I'm not sure it's MIDI, but I was looking for a preamp like the ADA MB-1. One that, with a footswitch, you can make several settings with eq, different effects, and use them at different times in a song. Is there something like that?
  2. That is like what I want. Anyone know anything?
  3. Jeez, anyone?

Any MB-1 users out there?
  4. Any ART Nightbass users here?
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I guess most people just don't have a need for this kind of preamp.
    Most arguments are sound (personal thing!) and the user interface.
    And most regular preamps have switchable EQ that's sufficient for most purposes and can be intregrated in a MIDI system with a MIDI switcher (for switching channels, EQ, and FX loops).

You just are better off IMO with a regular amp/preamp, FX unit (which you can exchange for a newer one when the old one is outdated, or want a better one - you can't do that with the Nightbass, for example), a MIDI switcher, and a MIDI board.
  6. You mean like an SVP PRO hooked up to a midi system?

I'm not sure what you mean, I think you're saying get a seperate EG, power amp and effects processer, is that what you mean?
  7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The Nightbass for example is just a Preamp with an integrated digital FX unit.
    A MIDI switcher can be use to MIDIfy an amp or preamp, e.g. to switch channels, compressor or EQ. You bush a button on a MIDI foot board and the switcher 'pushes the button' on the amp, so to speak.
    In General, a modular system is better/more versatile. The parts a usually more high quality (the ART's FX are a bit dated), and you don't have to replace the whole thing if you want to change something.

BTW: I just read your profile. Don't get me wrong here. It doesn't say anything about your level of playing, of course, but don't you think it's a (too) huge step up from your actual equipment (P-Bass and Peavey combo) ?
    That preamp can only be as good as the rest of the signal chain. Your bass and amp won't hold their own against the ADA or ART, IMO.
    Don't buy an ADA only because Les is endorsing it.
    You'll be better off if you invest in a better bass and amp/cabinet. Let your rig grow with your playing.
  8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Exactly. Just because Les is using it, doesnt mean you should get it or that it would be right for you, especially if you are new. IMO, effects are pretty useless anyhow. You'd be better off working on your clean tone and technique than using effects that cover up mistakes (and hence not improving you playing in the least).
  9. Well, I really didn't want to have to get a lot of different effects. I just wanted something that I could make a bunch of different settings so I wouldn't constantly have to twiddle the knobs or anything like that. I really don't want to have to buy more gear than I have to. As for my level of playing, I'm of course not a pro, but I like how I play. I'm really into Primus and I am going to make music 'like' that.

I wasn't really gonna buy it "Just cause Les endorses it", but because of the reviews I've read of it, because of the things you can do, like combine distortion with chorus and make an EQ with it, then just save it, then make another with a mid boost and no effects. Stuff like that. Isn't the SVP PRO just for getting one sound? I really don't know. Anyway, thanks for the help guys.
  10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you can get an ADA mb-1 for ~100.00. i wouldn't get an ada, though, the company's out of business.

i use one along with a marshall jmp-1 midi guitar preamp - much better in my opinion, but more expensive.

i would not get the ART - every bit of experience i have had, as well as 3 or 4 guitarists that i have played with over the years - has all been bad, with things breaking at gigs and such.

as for trying something out because your hero does, there's nothing explicitly wrong with that. don't necessarily expect to end up sounding just like your hero, but there's no problem with that otherwise. i got a rickenbacker bass back in the day because geddy lee had one. i tried certain effects like chorus and flanger because geddy lee used them in certain songs.

then i decided i wanted to be original, and got all kinds of stuff that nobody else was using :D.
  11. Eg. Nady 15 band EQ, Carvin XP-2 multiple effects processor, SVP PRO, Carvin DCM1000 power amp.

I just looked in the MF catalouge and saw this stuff, I think it's what you mean by "modular equptment"

Well, I am not sure how "normal" people progress through equipment, but I didn't want to go through too much "intermediate" equipment. I really am not sure if that is the best way to go. But the idea of seperate pieces of equipment is just more 'appealing' to me. BTW I am not going to run the effects through my Peavey, I'm going to get a power amp and maybe 1 or 2 cabinets. I havn't tried anything else except for the basses in the store (mainly Fenders) but I like the tone of the Squier. Having nothing to compare it to of course except for the MIMs in the store, which I like the Squier better than. I was also thinking about getting a 5 or 6. I am also looking at USED equip. if that is bad, please let me know lol...
  12. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Try the Sans Amp PSA-1. It's MIDI. And, has lots of tones and features.
  13. This thread is for me!

I've been using a MIDI controlled programmable bass preamp for at least ten years. But I don't have an ADA. I've got a Rocktron ProBass. It is a bass preamp with three band semi-parametric EQ, built in HUSH noise reduction, Compressor, and stereo chorus. It boasts a complete MIDI implementation. It has been the heart of my sound since around 1990. After playing with that preamp I couldn't go back to any other preamp again, because I love the versatility it gives me. I have banks of presets made with variations of tone settings. Some are brighter, some are darker, some are louder, some are quieter, some have effects, some don't. I have different banks tailored for my different basses. One for the Rickenbacker, one for the Zon... That's awesome. And each of these sounds are just one press of a button away on my MIDI foot controller. My rig is always consistent. I can do a recording session, tear down my rig, come back another day for more tracks or overdubs, and not have to worry about the amp settings not being the same, because it's all programmed. That's a nice thing.

Gripes: The version of the Probass I own does not have an effects loop and does not have balanced outputs. That's the only problem I have with it. I saw a later version of it that did have those features. If you know where one is, let me know. I'll buy it.

Rocktron ProBass units seem to be very rare, at least much more so than ADA's MB-1. I tried the MB-1 and I thought it was too noisy and it was not a simple matter to get a nice clean tone with it. If you want noisy raw overdriven sounds, it's fine. I tried the ART Nightbass, and while the effects are fun to play with, I wasn't too impressed, especially considering its price. I thought that thing was also way too noisy. The Rocktron is clean and quiet. It didn't have all the bells and whistles the aforementioned units had, but I thought of that as "less stuff to break!" In ten years I experienced a total of two problems with it. Once a capacitor blew in the output section. I sent it UPS to them and they had it back to me, fixed, complete with brand new output jacks installed just for the hell of it, back to my house within 5 days, and free of charge, even though it was two years out of warranty! I had one other problem with it, and this was long after it was discontinued, and sent it back and they fixed it and installed new rotary knobs on it just because they thought they'd be cool, and had it back to me within a week. Rocktron is great! Excellent customer service.

I've only rarely seen them for sale, but if you find one, I'd recommend checking it out.

14. The Rocktron sounds great... Too bad they will probably be a lot more expensive than the ADA. Sounds like it does pretty much the same thing though, thanks!
  15. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    The big quote you used at the top is mine (thanks for not attributing it to me. :D )

I still use the MB1, and if you can get a hold of one, do. Since ADA went out of business, they're not as easy to find anymore, but you can get them occasionally on ebay for a good deal.

I love my MB1, and I'd hate to lose it.

For the record, though Les Claypool did endorse the MB1, he actually used the MP1, ADA's similar preamp designed for guitar.

As for not getting pro gear because you don't have pro gear already... doesn't that sound counter-intuitive? If I hadn't bought like 5 amps in-between my first amp and my current amp, I'd still have a lot more money in the bank. Get what you like now, if you can - it's ludicrous to buy lesser equipment because you don't think you "deserve" it yet. More often than not, you'll want to play more and practice more because it's a pleasure to play on good gear.

I say that with all due respect to the opposing opinions, of course.