Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone know any good strectching exercises?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by OrioN_2k, Dec 20, 2001.

1. I have trouble using my fingers the proper way. Ex. frets 1-4 2-5 it's all bad till about fret 3. After that, It gets better. I have HUGE hands, that's why I'm buying a 5 string to start, but is there any good way to stretch and exercise my fretting hand so my reach improves? Even though my hands are big, I still have trouble. BTW I fret left, pick right.

2. I don't know if it will help, but it seemed to help me: Before I start practicing everyday I do a routine(with 'nome) of the following. It really warms me up, and I have seen improvments in my ability to get to the proper frets in the correct position:
    Estring:
    Astring:
    Dstring:
    Gstring:
    1234 - slide pinky to fifth fret ...
    Gstring:
    D:
    A:
    E:
    5432 - slide index to third fret ...
    E:
    3456 ... and so on all the way down the fret board. By the end of this I am warmed up, got that click in my head, and my fingers do feel stretched out.

I hope the above makes sense, and it really does help...

Peace-
    K.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Michael Manring's instructional video has some excellent exercises you can do WITHOUT a bass in your hands to really relax your hands before playing.

When I started playing upright on gigs I found these to be a HUGE help.

4. 1234. All the information you need. :)

Relax and go slow. Make sure your hands are in the right position and are relaxed.

If you want an actual exercise, try

-------9---------------------------
    -----7-----7-9-7---------5-----5--
    -0-5-----5-------5-7-9-7--7-9-----
    -----------------------------------

but there's no real substitution for 1234, scales and patterns played in 2nd and 3rd position.

Don't hurt yourself.

5. deepbob

deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
    well that's encouraging, my gut reaction was to answer chromatic scales.