1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

anyone know any great bass players with autism or aspergers

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Cole Louis Allar, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Cole Louis Allar

Cole Louis Allar

Dec 25, 2015
    hey guys. I know this has nothing to do with bass or anything like that but I need to ask a question that has been bugging me for the last 6 months or so. First off are there any great bassists with autism? And also When will people learn that there is a difference between having a learning disability and just being really shagging stupid? One of my best friends has autism, as do myself, I have asburgers, and I'm not afraid to tell people that, nor do I care what they think, and he's one of the coolest guys I know! He plays drums, really good with animation, and he's done some really incredible things in life!

Farrin D, nolezmaj, Timmah and 4 others like this.
  2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  3. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm no grammar nazi, but I believe it's spelled Aspergers.

The BurgerMeister likes this.
  4. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    I can't think of any on the autism spectrum but I'm sure there's a few. Gary Numan is said to have asperger's. I think many of the people who have changed the world are on the spectrum, which gives them a wonderful ability to see things in ways that others can't.

I often have thought that Brian Wilson has aspergers, but that's not a diagnosis since I haven't met him. I believe officially he is diagnosed with schizophrenia, but hearing him talk about sound and composing he has insights into things that seem to fit aspergers.

I listen to the sonic talk podcast and Mark Tinley is on often, he did a lot of keyboard programming for Duran Duran and others, he has aspergers and has some very creative ideas.

Good question though, I'm interested to know! I might be one, I often think so, and am diagnosed with adhd, which I don't think is far off. I'm a social worker in my non music life and work mostly with individuals who have asperger's. I've learned so much from them over the years.

Alivefor5 likes this.
  5. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    I'm sure there have been several, but you're talking about something that went largely undiagnosed until the 90's. My teenage son has Asperger's, so I know something about the condition. That said, I do not actually know of any great bassists with Asperger's. But the greatest ever was bipolar--does that help?

lidesnowi and LUCE like this.
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    That's exactly what I was going to post in response to that.

+1

??????

7. Charles Mingus?

SanDiegoHarry and 7dollarbologna like this.
  8. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri

Clef_de_fa, HeebHammer70 and FunkĀ³ like this.
  9. Oh dear. Man makes thread interested in autism in bassists on a bass forum. Comments that he too has autism. Attacked for errors in his posts probably caused by said condition.

I found a couple of bassist who have autistic children, but not who actually have it, but I suspect that in part is due to reasons previously stated that diagnosis has changed in recent decades. (Those two are Tom Petersson of Cheap Trick and CJ Ramone - not necessarily "great bass players" but certainly "professionals who made something of their musical careers".)

It seems to me, with my limited knowledge on the subject, that bass is an instrument tailor made for autistic persons.

47th Street and TerriblePeril like this.
  10. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I can't think of any bass players, but I think I read the the drummer from Alt-J is an aspie and also mostly deaf.

He has some really strange and interesting quirks in his drumming. He tends to use a stuffed cowbell instead
    of a hi-hat and he uses no cymbals. Also all his drums have to set perfectly level or it bothers him.

The band and their artsy music is surely not everyones cup of tea, but his drumming is really great IMO.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  11. Ikkir

Ikkir

Jun 26, 2005
    Swansea, UK

This video is kind of on topic - might be worth a watch.

12. thomcat79

thomcat79

Apr 9, 2014
    scotland
    Hi Cole, I don't know any bassists but my 7 year old son has autism and he's showing huge potential on piano, he's fascinated with all thing's musical but piano is his favourite. I remember year's ago when finding out he was autistic I was pretty upset and a bit angry if im honest. But now I wouldn't change anything about him, he's perfect. Massive respect to you Cole :)

13. Hey Thomcat79, not to go off topic here, but would be really interested in how your son is learning the piano. I have a six year old son with autism, and he likes to play around with my midi keyboard and can learn some things by rote, and I'd like to get him started learning a bit more about music (nothing too structured, 'cause he'd probably rebel). Sadly no interest in the bass though, although he does like to play around with my pedals every once and a while. I've put some calls around to some of the local music teachers and institutions, but haven't found anything that feels like a bit yet.

Oh yeah, and massive respect to Cole.

14. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    If you can't think of any great bass players with autism or aspergers, become one.

15. thomcat79

thomcat79

Apr 9, 2014
    scotland
    Hi there, my son attends a special needs school, and it was in there that he first showed an interest in music. So the school suggested music therapy as a way for him to express himself. As you say it started with mini keyboards and then progressed to full size keyboards, he too would rebel, so we found the best way for him was to play and let him repeat by ear. Who knows if he'll continue being interested in it, but it's just nice to see him interested in it for now. Hope you too find something that suits your son, and we will both live in hope that they turn to the bass at some point :D

16. infraviolet

infraviolet

May 2, 2014
    Illinois
    Depending on you you ask I would be a great bassist with Aspergers. I beg to differ but some people say I'm good. Joking aside, I'm not aware of anyone myself.

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  17. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    I am but I wouldn't call myself a great bassist or anything. I would also like to think that if anything it helps because I am "obsessed" with bass and music as autistic people then to get over things.

47th Street likes this.
  18. Fingerpickingood

Fingerpickingood

Oct 30, 2014
    Texas
    I'm not great, but I do suffer from Asperger's. I would surmise that we are unaware of many simply because the affliction is often misdiagnosed, or not at all. I wasn't diagnosed until I was in my late 20s. Keep in keepin' on, young man!

19. Well I'm not famous, but I'm a bassist with aspergers.