anyone know anything about classical gu*****

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by [dfire]knight, Oct 13, 2002.

1. [dfire]knight

Mar 30, 2002
    bend, or
    i am taking a guitar class at my school. And the local music store wants $50bucks to rent one for three months. and $100-150 more i could just buy one. do you know any good quality/sounding beginner classical guitars.

the brands that seem to be the most common are:

thanks in advance
  2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    dunno for $200 i dont think your gonna get much of a classical guitar. Alot of my buddies are classical guitar majors and they spend easily $600 on a cheapie. Most of them are easily over a grand. When it comes to classical instruments they are real pricey. I would rent one if i were u until you can talk to sumone who knows a little more and is willing to help you out looking and playing them, and save your pennies if your serious about plaing classical guitar, cuz it aint easy.
  3. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    What's the difference between classical and acoustic guitars?
  4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The Yamaha are pretty good for that price range, as are Alvarez. If you can in your price range, try to get a solid top on the guitar. It's really easy to spend up to or over $1000 on a lower-level classical, but you could get into a good entry-level for $200-$300.
    (True) Classicals use a different pattern of bracing and a different joint at the neck-block. The fingerboard almost always has a MUCH bigger radius than normal acoustics, and the neck is usually significantly wider.
  5. Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    and they use nylon strings as opposed to metal

the bodies are also smaller than a typical dreadnaught steel string
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Isn't the most signifciant difference that classical guitarists have long fingernails which they use in playing technique - which is not what you necessarily want for playing bass!!
  7. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Try to get a solid-top instrument if you can afford it. The Yamaha solid top models are always good value for money. Check out the CG131S, which should be in the $200-300 range. Alhambra also has some good instruments in the cheapo range.

Stay away from the rest.

This is a nice site for drooling and edumacating yourself about classical guitar:
  8. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    u dont have to have long fingernails, u can use fingerpics. I play upright and classical guitar in music school and so i just use picks so i dont have to grow my fingernails out, and its real trashy looking.