Anyone know anything about fender JP 90?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nighttrain1127, Nov 28, 2004.

1. I just bouthg a Fender JP 90 Bass and cannot find any information anywhere on the net. Does anyone know anything about this bass?
  2. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Sweet score! Recently discussed, do a search.
  3. Jim Gorman

Jim Gorman

Jul 30, 2004
    I recently bought a JP 90, and like you have found it difficult to get information about it on the net. What I have found out is that the bass was made by Fender from 90-94 ( maybe 95?). It was intended to be an entry level US bass to fit between the Squier line and the American Standard line, much like the Mexican-made Fenders do now. The neck is a very slim jazz bass with a 1.5 inch nut. The body is similar to the offset Jazz body, but the contours are sharper and not rounded on the upper horns and the sides. The closest current body shape is the Fender Aerodyne Jazz bass. The body is poplar and very light (but also dents and chips easily). The pickups are ceramic magnetic pickups that, as far as I can tell, were only useed in the JP 90. The bass came in black, white and red, all of which had the unique tear-drop shaped black pickguard.
    Like you, I think the JP 90 has a great sound and am mystified by the lack of information out there on this great bass. Hope the above information is of help. Likewise I also recommend other bass players to pick up a JP 90 and give it a play. You could be in for a pleasant surprise. :)
  4. And I had to have it, The first one I bought is white with EMG pickups(active too) . And today I found a passive black one And could not pass it up for the 250.00 it was selling for. So Now I have two. I can not understand why fender more or less disowns this great playing and sounding bass? I also have a 2004 American Jazz bass and it just kind of sits there now with the amount of tones and the better playability of the JP 90 . I have to remembet to use it a couple of times a week just so I don't forget how to play on a little wider neck. The active sounds great with flat wound Rotosound 77's on it and the passive sounds equally as good with round wound swing 66's . Any suggestions on strings or if I should change the bridges on these two beauties.