1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone know anything about how to bi-amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thunderthief85, Aug 8, 2004.

  1. thunderthief85


    Aug 8, 2004
    My all time greatest influence as a player is john entwistle. I know he bi-amped, and that's how he achieved that great split toned sound (traditional low end, topped off with great high end so you can hear that notes you play, very helpful when filling a lot). Anyway, i have an ampeg svt 3 pro and 810 cab, if anyone has any suggestions on how to get this bi-amped sound, or what gear is necessary, let me know, thanks...
  2. James Hart

    James Hart

    Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    preamp into crossover... then lows into a poweramp and into chosen subwoofer type cabinets...
    and the highs into a poweramp and into some high ranged speakers.

    Some just split the signal to 2 sources and eq out the unwanted frequencies, but IMHO that doesn't cut it.

    A lot of amps in the recent past have the crossover built in.
  3. I have a SWR SM 900 (built in crossover and 2 mono power amps) and a 2x10 and 1x15 Yorkville cabs. I've tried using the crossover many times over the years but I always come back to the full range mono signal going into the 2 cabs. To my ears, it sounds fuller, bigger and bassier. The highs are still there and the midrange is vocused. Just my two cents. It sounds like you've got a great rig and it'll take another power amp and speaker cab for you to bi-amp.
  4. I'm pretty sure Entwistle TRI-amped, didn't he? In that case you would need a 3-way crossover. One input into the xover from your preamp is split 3 ways - lo, mid, hi. You can then amp and eq them separately.

    Wasn't it Entwistle who used a guitar amp for the highs? Or was that Stanley Clarke? :meh:
  5. Eric Moesle

    Eric Moesle

    Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    First of all, get yourself a bass amp with bi-amp capabilities, a built-in crossover and two power sections.

    Secondly, keep in mind that you are talking about what Entwhistle used ON STAGE, and not his recording rig. Two entirely different things, unless you were fortunate to hear his sound onstage. What went to the soundboard for the audience to hear is entirely different as well.

    What you hear on a bassist's records is rarely their stage rig, its usually a direct signal more often than not, or some other processing gear.
  6. thunderthief85


    Aug 8, 2004
    thats pretty much what i figured...thanks guys for the advice. I just wanted to try it out, i like experimenting with different sounds. thanks again :)
  7. tim99

    tim99 Supporting Member

    Jan 28, 2003
    Trade it in on an SVT 4 Pro.

  8. xcental34x


    Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    or a GK 800RB
  9. TheChariot


    Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Indeed. The 4Pro's pretty much designed to be biamped, and has a built-in crossover. Most use a 15" speaker for the lows... but you'll be well-off just using the 810 as two separate cabs. It really just depends on your financial situation and if you think biamping will really be worth the attempt you make.