Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone know anything about PA systems??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Jun 29, 2005.

1. [font=verdana, arial, helvetica]I would like to get something small. I do jazz stuff and it always seems like I have to rely on someone else to have a PA system. I just need someone basic. 4 channel mixer should be enough with 2 speakers. Enough just to mic a sax and have an announcement microphone..

I was looking at something like http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ssPageName=WDVW

Any other suggestions?? I dont have ALOT to spend on it..
    [/font]

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That system would probably be okay for the price, but the more you spend, the better the system will be. I would go for one of yamaha's newer systems. They have some small ones that would work very well.

3. Have any links?? I really cant afford more than $500 right now.. I mean, later on down the road I can add stuff if need be.. Just something to get us by for a sax, guitar, bass, drum setup playing in small bars and clubs...

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    What all will be going through it?

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  6. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I know a lot of people don't like them, but you could start with a single JBL EON 15 G2. It has three channel inputs and is self-contained. I still use mine for my PA and I still think they are a good product.

7. Sax and annoucement mic..

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmm ... this idea has potential.

10. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Not a bad solution, I'd say. I like that better than any of the Passport sytems I've heard.

You could consider just using a keyboard amp or an acoustic guitar one, many of which have a mike input. For announcements, use a high impedance mike straight into the "guitar" input, use the dedicated mike input for sax, you're done. With the keyboard amp, you'd maybe want a couple of impedance matching transformers for your mikes. This doesn't get you two speakers, but that may be a stretch for 500 bucks, I think. Personally, I'd go for one good sounding speaker over two mediocre ones.

I've mentioned before that the Soundcraft Gig Rac is a nice, cost effective, very portable PA head solution. The budget priced Yorkville speakers are pretty decent, in my experience. For even less money, look at the CGM cabs, which are readily available online.