Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone know anything about these bands?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Apr 1, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Ive decided to crackdown, and listen to as many different genres as possible. And this time, actually do it, not just say i will.

I was looking through all my bass catalogs, and i came across a few groups. Can anyone tell me anything about these bands? Some are pretty obvious, but hey, they're obvious, and the sad thing is i dont listen to them. :D

Can you guys reccomend any good songs by:

Van Halen
    Dropkick Murphys
    Lenny Kravitz
    Suicidal Tendencies
    Biohazard
    Led Zepplin
    Sting
    Kings X's
    Yellow Jackets
    Helloween
    No Doubt
    David Benoit
    Kidneythevies
    Fishbone

I know there are alot of popish kinda bands there, but can anyone reccomend any good listening from any of these guys?

Thanks!
    -kirbo

2. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hmm,, you just want us to recommend songs ey? No albums? You, a moderator,, an enforcer of the peace of all people aren't planning to download off of Kazaa are you??!!

Led Zeppelin ; Early Days
    Led Zeppelin ; Latter Days

Their albums can be hit or miss,, this ensures you of good songs.

No Doubt ; Return of Saturn

Good songs,, less ska oriented,, better bass tones (IMO) and Adrian Young is a novice drummer no more!

Suicidal Tendencies ; Lights Camera Revolution

Focused, crunchy, weird,, dare I say progressive? Probably a good starting point.

3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I download 2 or 3 songs, see what they're like, then go buy the album (if i like them). No harm done :D

5. I especially enjoy the bass work in LedZep and Kravitz. Some of my personal favourite tunes by these artists...

Van Halen:
    Ain't Talkin Bout Love
    Jump
    Runnin with the Devil
    Panama

Lenny Kravitz:
    Always on the Run
    Mr Cab Driver
    Rock and Roll is Dead
    Are You Gonna Go My Way
    Sister

Led Zeppelin:
    Good Times Bad Times
    Dazed and Confused
    The Lemon Song
    Thank You
    No Quarter
    Immigrant Song
    Black Dog
    Heartbreaker

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Lenny:
    Thinking of You
    Sugar

Van Halen:
    Jamie's Crying

Fishbone:
    Psychological Overcast

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Aha, Sting...

Ok, well you got two basic eras to look at - his work with The Police, and his solo work. He was the bassist & lead singer in The Police, and he wrote the vast majority of the songs. And of course with his solo work, he wrote (almost) all of the songs. A couple of collaborations, and a cover version are the only exceptions that spring to mind.

Here are the albums, years, and some key songs (IMO):

The Police

Outlandos D'Amour - 1979 - "Roxanne", "So Lonely", "Can't Stand Losing You", "Hole In My Life"
    Regatta De Blanc - 1979 - "Message In A Bottle", "Walking On The Moon", "Bed's Too Big Without You"
    Zenyatta Mondatta - 1980 - "Don't Stand So Close To Me", "Da Do Do Do, Da Da Da Da", "Canary In A Coalmine"
    Ghost In The Machine - 1981 - "Spirits In The Material World", "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic", "Invisible Sun"
    Synchronicity - 1983 - "Every Breath You Take", "King Of Pain", "Wrapped Around Your Finger", "Synchronicity II", "Tea In The Sahara"

Sting

The Dream Of The Blue Turtles - 1985 - "Russians", "A Children's Crusade", "Love Is The Seventh Wave", "Fortress Around Your Heart"
    ...Nothing Like The Sun - 1987 - "Englishman In New York", "They Dance Alone", "Fragile"
    The Soul Cages - 1991 - "All This Time", "Mad About You", "Jeremiah Blues (Part 1)"
    Ten Summoner's Tales - 1993 - "Fields Of Gold", "Shape Of My Heart", "If I Ever Lose My Faith In You", "Seven Days"
    Mercury Falling - 1996 - "I'm So Happy I Can't Stop Crying", "All Four Seasons", "Twenty-Five To Midnight", "La Belle Dame Sans Regrets"
    Brand New Day - 1999 - "Brand New Day", "Desert Rose", "After The Rain Has Fallen"

The early Police material (i.e. "Outlandos D'Amour", and to a lesser extent "Regatta De Blanc") has a sort of punk/reggae feel, though it's not true punk (or true Reggae), IMHO - because The Police were too good as musicians :) Then they got a bit more adventurous and a bit more 'pop' - and more arranged (this is a good thing, IMHO). In particular, "Ghost In The Machine" is more arranged - the guitar was less prominent - more keyboards, and Sting's Sax sections.

I think the best examples from the Police era are "Don't Stand So Close To Me", "Walking On The Moon", "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic", "Every Breath You Take", and "King Of Pain". I think the best Police album is Synchronicity.

As for the solo stuff - it is much less aggressive, less angry, and less tortured than the Police stuff. He also leaned more towards Jazz with his solo work (he likes to surround himself with good Jazz musicians - e.g. Branford Marsalis, Kenny Kirkland etc.). I've seen it described as Jazz-Pop. I'm not sure that's what I'd call it, but I can see where they're coming from with that.

I think the best examples from his solo work are "Russians", "They Dance Alone", "Fields Of Gold", "Shape Of My Heart", and "After The Rain Has Fallen". My favourite Sting album is "Brand New Day", but "Ten Summoner's Tales" is also excellent.

IMO, all the albums I listed at the top are well worth getting.

8. kirby

kirby

Feb 24, 2003
    suicidal tendencies - feeding the addiction - great song, trujilo is baaaaaad
    biohazard - punishment - cant think of any other biohazard song right now...

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    My favorite King's X album is Dogman. Some good songs off of that are Dogman, Shoes and Fool You. Some sweet harmony singing at the beginning and breaks in Shoes and a hard but tight and grooving album throughout.

Fishbone - Bonin' in the Boneyard

Led Zeppelin - Ramble On (oh yeah..check out that bass line on the chorus!! Aerosmith ripped and reworked for 'Sweet Emotion' but with only half the groove!)

brad cook

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Not that sad - I could do without any of them except Led Zeppelin - so, first five or six Led Zep albums are mandatory - but I don't really listen to any of the others on your list, although I know "about " them and don't feel I'm missing anything! ;)

11. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Albums in general (songs)

King's X:
    Gretchen Goes To Nebraska ("Over My Head")
    Dogman ("Fool You")

No Doubt:
    Tragic Kingdom ("Don't Speak", "Sunday Morning")

Lenny Kravitz:
    don't know the albums, but here's a few songs,
    "Dig In"
    "Rock and Roll is Dead"
    "Let Love Rule"
    "Are You Gonna Go My Way"

12. since nobody's touched on dropkick murphys, i'll recommend "fightstarter karaoke" "upstarts and broken hearts" and "the gang's all here"

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    We were waiting for you, DHC! :D

14. I'd say the first four Led Zep albums are the neccessary ones, but if you had to choose just one album I'd say Led Zep I. Ok so most were reworked folk and blues songs, but it's such an eclectic mix (yeah I love that word:D)

If you were just to download two or three songs however, Id recommend

Babe Im gonna leave you
    Black Dog
    What is and what should never be

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - I think Physical Graffiti has some of their best tracks, although maybe not worth having as an album - so the track "Houses of the Holy" has a fantastic "ultimate riff" sound and can you ignore "Kashmir" ? "In my time of dying" is also one of their most interesting Blues/Slide guitar tracks, with altered tuning and extended improvising.

16. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Van Halen: "Drop Dead Legs" (I like pretty much all of the David Lee Roth stuff)

Spermicidal Tendencies: Anything from "How Will I Laugh Tomorrow..." but especially the Title track and "Pledge Your Allegiance".

Led Zeppelin: "That's The Way", "Rain Song" (I like their mellow stuff)

The Police: All good stuff, my fav is probably "So Lonely" but I like "I Can't Stand Losing You" and "Synchronicity II" as well.

17. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    The first four led zeppelin, but specifically led zeppelin II, with Ramble On, the Lemon Song and What is and What Never Should Be, you've got some of the very best of jp right there. Then theres heartbreaker into Livin Lovin Maid, pages awesome trill solo in heartbreaker and the way the songs just kinda explode together is frankly amazing. Then theres John Bonhams incredible drumming on Moby Dick, Although the Song Remains the Same version is better, its still awesome, some bootlegs of it out there are jawdropping. The other three songs on the album; Whole Lotta Love, Thank You, and the awesome closer; Bring it on Home are all awesome songs in there own right. Definately one of Zepellins best bass albums, and my personal favourite. Zeppelin I is a great more bluesy album, wherareas Zeppelin III has a awesome accoustic feel about it. more on next post

18. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    In Houses of the Holy, Zeppelin IV, (aka. Zoso, Runes) it definately some of zeppelins heaviest work, check out the immigrant song, heavy as anything. Also theres Battle of Evermore, a mandolin with rocked harder than any Les ive ever heard. The theres the dark, bluesy,When the Leavy breaks, the song just seems crush down on itself. Theres also the infamous Stairway to Heaven on this album, a great song but way too overplayed.with houses of the holy zeppelin went very experimental, JP dawns a keyboard on several tracks, in my oppinion its not on par with former zeppelin albums, but still an incredible record. Physical Graffiti is zeppelin really mixin it up with Middle Eastern Rythyms and heavy Blues riffin, its a definate must have, one of the best double disc sets ever. Disc one with Custard Pie, In my Time of Dying and Trampled Underfoot is swingin. Presence is Zeppelins most overlooked album, the opener, Achilles last stand, is an awesome epic. The band really has some cool grooves and rythym work on it too.Nobodys fault but mine is a great song. a great album considering it was done in just 18 days. Led Zeppelin final studio album, In Through the Out Door, is definately the most far out zeppelin album, a bit overdone on the synths, its still a mighty record. Fool in the Rain the high point, Hot Dogs a groovy song too. All of my love is good too. Really the albums kinda ruined by the overbearing synths, but if you can look past that, its still a solid record. Coda is a blend of Zeppelins unused studio work, not bad, but you can till why it wasnt on any albums, good version of Poor Tom and Communications Breakdown. Ozone Babys cool too.

19. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    finally check out zeppelins live stuff, such as The song remains the same and The BBC sessions, The BBC sessions is awesome. definately worth getting

20. man, i used to love dropkick murphy's. i had one of the soccor jersey's they sold at shows, but my ex took it.

i hate to say stuff like "oh, they used to be good, before they got any recognition, i'm old school blah blah blah...."

but i really can't stand the current singer. that guy is just in the way. the first album is absolutely killer though.

another group with the good singer/bad singer problem you might want to check out is Dillenger Escape Plan... i'm sure it's been mentioned before, but the EP they put out with mike patton is incredible. all the other stuff of theirs is great as well, but it could do without the singer.