Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone know anything about these bows?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by shwashwa, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    A few years ago Alex Feldman (from Chicago, a TBer) came to NYC to visit, we hooked up and fell by Gage's so he could try some bows. He tried the Coda with some other stuff; my best recollection is that it had better projection that some wood bows he tried in the same price range, but if went up a littel in price he got a wood bow that was almost as much projection but with very much more warmth and breadth to the sound.

But you oughta go play'em. Gimme a call, we'll go get coffee.

2. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i'm heading to gage's tomorrow to try some bows... i'll post my comments on them. perhaps if i time it correctly i can catch the early set at kavehaz. heather bennet just sent me an e mail saying she'll be there with phil palombi on bass. never heard him live. problem is, i wont have anywhere to keep my bass while at kavehaz, and i'd feel like a total tool walking in with it.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Naw, don't worry about that. When Phil sees your bass, he'll prolly come over and say Hi. Every bassist knows what it's like to schlep and I have NEVER been vibed by anybody for bringing a bass in (well, except when Bradley's started becoming a tourist trap right before it bagged. Up to that point, the cat at the door would let me skate on the cover charge if I had my bass with me), everybody has been way cool and way friendly. If it ain't crowded, don't sweat it.

4. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    I own an earlier model of the coda bow...it is labeled CodaBass. Anyway, I am not sure how the newer models compare but the thing I really love about my bow is its depth of sound on the low notes. It actually seems to cut out some of the higher frequencies and that is what gives it a seemingly darker and bigger sound. I am in the process of buying a new wood bow. That one is much more open sounding on the highs but not as thick sounding on the lows. For the price of the Coda Bow I think it is a great value. My teacher, Jim Clute, and I think it is pretty funny how my $700 carbon fiber bow beats out some $2000+ pernambucco bows. :p

5. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    hey ed, have you ever played the coda bows that were designed specifically for gage's shop? the metropolitan? i was just wondering what you thought of the action of these bows.. i have a german and a french on loan, and i have a wood german and french on loan. the wood and carbon fiber germans seems to perform comparably, but i'm thinking the wood french is harder to use than the coda bow. but i'm really not an arco player, so i have nothing to compare them to. i just play scales and stuff with the bow, but i've never really gotten to specific bowing tecnniques in classical music, so i dont know how they'll hold up. i'm taking them to a teacher next weekend, but just thought i'd ask you if you know anything

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Sorry, not the cat to ask. Arco is an Italian word that means end of a ballad.
    E-mail Ray, he's got a nice arco thang going on...

7. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    I just stumbled onto their website today. Does anyone else have any opinions on these? I'm going to have to try to track one down here in the cities at that price...

8. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i actually got to try them for a couple of weeks on loan, and liked them well enough, but found a wood one that i liked alot better in the price range...