Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone know anything about These Strings???? Thermastik

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ldiezman, Feb 6, 2002.

1. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Thermastik-Infield strings

I saw these strings at www.juststrings.com and then I went to their website... but I don't know anything else about them. Anyone know anything about them or use them??? they are a bit pricey.. but if they are worth it, then I may go ahead and order a pair or 2..

peace,
    jim

2. Have not tried yet but go to vintagebass.com
    You'll find a link there with good prices.

3. I put the TI Jazz Flats on my RB5 and got a much nicer tone than I had with GHS Progressives. The tension on the Flats is lower than most other strings, and that might be an issue for you, but I don't find it a problem at all.

I picked up a set of TI PowerBass rounds which are much higher tension than the Flats, or about average tension compared to other rounds. These are not yet installed, so I have no comparison yet. My buds who run PowerBass say they are similar to the Flats in rich character and tone, but have more of the round-string ring. I figure they will sound pretty good.

The nice part about all TI strings is they last forever without going dead. My buds have been running these strings for a year or more with excellent results. They say the Flats actually sound better after 6 months' use.

YMMV.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, not to be picky or anything, but it's not Thermastik, it's Tomastik.

I put a set of their Jazz flats on my Jazz bass. They sounded as good on the day I took 'em off (after about 9 months) as they did they day I put 'em on! They're really great strings! And, I'll tell you this: I got a really great range of tones with 'em! From old blues sounding to (with my Sans Amp cranking a little distortion) a really gritty, BRIGHT tone great for hard rock!:D

I'd recommend 'em!

5. Love TI strings! I've got a set of the flats on my J, warm and buttery, with much more musical midrange (heh) than typical flatwounds. You still get low-end thump, but there's more there than just that. Some folks call them "woody" sounding, and that would be a fair approximation. The powerbass are my favorite, though. They're about average tension, but still quite flexable. They do the same balanced, rounded low end and low-mids thing as the flats, but they have great high-mid presence and definition. One of my favorite things about the sound is that the high-end is actually useable! They've got a lot of high-end brightness, but it's warmer and more useable than any other round I've played, not just icepick clanking. Plus, while I doubt they last as long as the flats (some people have had the flats for several years and swear they just keep going) I've had mine on since the beginning of August 01 and they show no signs of slowing, just a barely noticeable drop in brightness. On my trace head, the difference was less than 1db boost at the highest EQ band, just a nudge. Another dedicated TI guy at the Pit has had his for 10 months of pretty solid use and finally broke one the other day, before they wore out soundwise.
    The flats aren't for everyone, as the lower tension takes some getting used to. But if you like rounds, by all means check out the powerbass.

mike

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    hows the slap tone with these bad boys? Not that I am just a slap bassist.. i'm more fingerstyle than anything... but I do play slap bass. So it would be good to have just great all around strings.. I noticed that these strings are a good bit lighter than what I am used to.. I know I can get them in the gauge I want. but I've been looking to try out some lighter strings

7. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    That's a good question, I'd be interested in what fans of these strings have to say on slap.

I don't picture lower tensions flats being that ideal for slapping, are they?

8. I find I make a lot of fret noise with any kind of string. My drummer likes the Jazz Flats a LOT better because they don't produce finger squeak. I could probably get past the fret noise by raising my action a bit. It's pretty low.

My only long term comparision to the Thom Jazz Flats are GHS Progressive rounds. I got lots of fret noise with them too. I don't slap. Dunno how to do it properly.

9. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Hey guys, check out the link below. I buy my TI's from Doug McAlexander in Atlanta. He buys in bulk and passes on the saving to fellow bassists. Nice guy.
    Gantt

http://www.mixedcompany.com/strings.html

10. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I use TI Jazz Rounds on of my Godins, and PowerBass on the other. Both are excellent, as has been mentioned. Slapping? I do quite a bit, and tapping and chording too, and TIs work fine. Ia ctually prefer the lighter gauge. TI engineers their strings for balance, striung to string, and so the "odd" gauges are what comes fromthat. Overall, I find their strings much more responsive and balanced than ANY (and I have tried them all) other strings on the market.
    I also use TI Acousticores on my Godin A4 acoustic/electric, and these are probably the most balanced set I have ever found. Incredible, alothough the light gauge and tension do take some getting used to...not for players who are heavy handed.
    Right now I have TI flats on my Jack Casady, and it sounds incredible!
    Yea...I use TIs and love them! As someone else said they have both a musical and useable tone thru and thru...and they get better with age! I used to change strings 3-5 times a week! On four or five basses. My ph is acidic and really eats strings up...GHS last me about 20 min! But TIs last months and months!!!

by the way...the odd gauges, which I prefer to the "round" numbers offered by others are:
    Jazz Flats: 043, 056, 070, 100
    Jazz Rounds: 043, 051, 068, 089
    PowerBass: 047, 068, 080, 107
    Acousticore: )41, 053, 068, 086
    Power bass relates to the standard (45-105 most use).
    I highly recommend TI strings..give em a try, you might never go back to your old strings
    Max

11. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    I tried TI Powerbass strings and...I went back to my old brand, DR Lo-Riders. The Powerbass were very balanced sounding but I thought they were lacking in the high end department. The DR Lo-Riders have a fuller bottom and a livelier high end IMO on my Fender Jazz bass.

12. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I love Lo Riders too, I can't imagine using anything else other than those and Roto 66's. I never tried the TI rounds, but I tried the flats and didn't dig them at all. I discovered flats just aren't for me.

13. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    seamus, you still use Swing Bass 66? Has quality been an issue for you with these strings?

14. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I use them from time to time, I think I miss them after switching over to Lo Riders for the most part. Those Rotos have a great ringing rock sound. Yes, I can say that quality seems to be an issue here and there.

Sometimes they are dead. Not a whole pack, but a string here and there. They also don't hold up real well, but in my opinion, they never really did hold up for very long. The Lo Riders seem to go on quite a long time for stainless strings though.

15. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I tried a set of TI Jazz Flats on my new Stingray 5 Fretless and just wasn't particularly psyched about the tone I was getting. I'll temper that, however, with the fact I'm the biggest fan of flatwounds. Yesterday I put a set of Elixirs on the bass, and it dialed in what I like.

Best Wishes,
    Bones

16. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    Just for the record, it's Thomastik-Infeld. It's great to hear that there are so many players really diggin the Thom's, I appreciate your support!

Bones: The only suggestion I have as to the tone of the JF345's you bought is to keep them on for a bit longer. Most players find that they settle in after a bit and the tone actually improves over time. Of course, not every player likes them equally, but it's just a thought.

I try to check this (and other forums) regularly, but sometime I get too busy. If anyone needs any help with anything Thomastik related, feel free to call or email me directly. Don't worry, I won't ever pitch you any gear. We're the importer and do not sell product directly to players. Post here as well, but if you need faster assistance or if you need a catalog, etc. I'm happy to help.

Best regards,
    Kevin Reynolds
    Connolly & Co.
    Exclusive Importers of Thomastik-Infeld strings
    1-800-644-5268
    kevinr@connollyandco.com

17. I personally prefer the Bombastic Cornfield Flats over the Thermastics.
    G
    :D

18. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    LOL!!

19. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    my bad about the spelling.. I'm a speech/music major. spelling means nothing to me.. especially when I have to spell in phonetics alot!! ;)

20. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Thomastiks rock! Thomguy rocks! i use them on my Fodera-and now my Fodera rocks! Thanks Kevin!! - Adrian- www.access-bass.com