1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

anyone know anything about These Strings???? Thermastik

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ldiezman, Feb 6, 2002.

1. geshel

geshel Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I tried the Jazz Rounds on my Carvin 5 a couple of years ago, and they have a very low tension - lower than the guages would make you think. They also have more midrange than most strings. Not really honky but I was immediately struck - "wow, that's some midrange there". At first I liked the low tension but then as I started playing a bit more aggressively, it wasn't working anymore.

I've only used the PowerBass low-B string - while it's true most of the PowerBass strings are heavier than the Jazz Rounds, the low B is very light. It's rated a .117 but it seriously felt like a .110. What they say about the "magnecore" construction is true - that string was half again as loud as the other 5 were (Elixirs). But it had to be played with a very light touch, and it got old and flubby pretty quickly.

FWIW, I'm back to all Elixir Polyweb now. Just put a set on today and I'm loving it. When I get my fretless I'll start there and see how they work.

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Thermastiks? Must be the heat treated set. :D

Seriously, the flats are cool sounding...definitely a different feel though. Couldn't really get into the feel on any TIs I've tried yet, because they were way too loose for my taste. I like heavier, tauter strings, so I guess these aren't for me. Loved how they sounded though, so if you can get past the feel and the cost, both the rounds and the flats are worth a try!

3. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    I just slapped a set of TI Jazz Flats on my Carvin LB70 last Thursday and was highly impressed. I keep flats on this bass for my old-style swing gigs, and the TI's (combined with a small foam mute) fit the bill to a tee. I took the mute off this morning and was able to get several good usable modern tones for my church gig. I don't like a lot of high end and these strings are just a bit darker than the roundwounds I usually use, while still providing enough treble and mids for a nice Jazz-esqe, back pick-up growl. My only gripe is the price, even through Juststrings.com. I hope they last as long as they are supposed to.

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    In my opinion, Thermastik-Infield strings are too hot to handle.

Okay, i admit, that just sucked.

5. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I use TI Powerbass on my G&L L2000 and they fit that bass perfectly. very balanced sound (articulate lows and crisp but not blaring highs)and very long lasting (longer than DRs for me). nice full fingerstyle sound plus a nice low mid punch with slap. They are kind of "hot" strings but than is a good thing. The E string is a little thick (.107) but it blends nicely with the other 3. I do not plan to use anything else but these on my L2000.

-KB

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021