Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone know anything about this SVT speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by albass111, Mar 1, 2006.

1. albass111

albass111 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    This 10" speaker was removed from a vintage SVT 8x10. It's got a square magnet and is super funky looking. It was a pain to remove as well. When Ab'ed against a new 8x10E, it's much warmer, but lacks the crisp high end.

Anyone know what years Ampeg used these speakers and why they changed? How about power handling?

2. albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Here's the pic.

Attached Files:

3. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    is that alnico?

4. 4runner

4runner WARNING!"WALL OF DOOM" does "exceed" 140 decibels!

Feb 11, 2006
    Hackensack NJ,
    Hey Albass111, If my memory is working today, I believe your speaker was made by Selmer/ magnavox between 1971 and 1980. Ampeg was using 8, 30 watt, 32 ohm ten's back then until parting company w/magavox, and teaming-up w/MTI in 1981. The SVT cab could handle about 240 watts back then. you can read all about ampeg in a book called,"Ampeg,the story behind the sound",Hal Lenard publications.

5. albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks 4 runner!!

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I thought the square magnet speakers were made by CTS. IIRC Eminence was formed by former CTS employees.

There is probably a date code stamped on it somewhere...a two or three digit number followed by a space (or a dash) followed by a four digit number. The first two digits of the last number are the year, the second two are the week.

The first two or three are the EIA source code...CTS is 137

7. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    someone on Ebay had some of these a while back check Ebay
    under( bass speakers)!:bassist:

8. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    That's an emininence speaker.

In the early 70's Ampeg used CTS speakers which had a brown basket and a rectangular alnico magnet. Around '73 or '74 (someone correct me if I'm off here), when they switched from the "coffin" cab to the tiltback design, they changed to eminence ceramic square-magnet speakers as shown in your picture. Later on they switched to the modern eminence drivers with round ceramic magnets, bigger voice coils and more power handling.