1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone know anything about Trabens?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassFTW, Jul 17, 2007.

1. MrSexy

MrSexy

Jul 10, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    I don't own it but I played it in guitar center, from what I played it I liked it. Neck was pretty slim. String spacing seemed kind of tight, but it had a good sound. (keep in mind this is from 5 min of playing it)

2. I know they have ugly bridges :meh:

3. TheB3Nut

TheB3Nut

Apr 26, 2007
    near Madison, WI
    The bridges are...um...different. I've come to like the one on my Array Limited 5 fairly well, and it goes with the red spalt finish fairly well. I *really* love the neck on this thing...it's one of the big reasons why every time I walked into GC I ended up grabbing it and spending a fair bit of playing time with it. It has good sustain and even response, and though the electronics are a bit cheap it has some really good tones in it. I still may drop in an Aguilar pre at some point, the stock one is a little noisy (but I have to solo the track in PT to notice it.) It does record well. I'm not currently gigging on bass so I can't comment as to its performance in a live band context. But I can't find any faults with the fretwork at all, and the overall workmanship is solid and among the best at this price point.

I'm sufficiently impressed with the Traben basses to consider buying a Neo Limited 5 in red spalt like my Array and having it defretted and epoxied (I think one of these would make a really interesting fretless, they used to offer them but don't at the moment). The Array is my first 5-stringer, I'm really enjoying it. It's rekindled my love affair with the bass after detouring with the Hammond organ (not that I'll ever give up playing Hammond, I love that instrument to pieces as well.)

I say give it a try, see if it works for you. I really like mine...

Todd in Cheesecurdistan

4. Thank you; I think I'm gonna buy it. I'll post pics as soon as I get it :smug:

5. I use one of the earlier Phoenix 5 basses, and its awesome. It has great sustain, and its very much playable. It does have some fret buzz, and the electronics are okay but not great, but I have been meaning to get some fret work on it and I want to stick some Bartolini pups and electronics in there. That said, it sounds pretty damn good as it is. I think its much better than just about anything else in the price range.

6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

If bling is your thing. (Hey, that rhymes!)

The bridges are ridiculous IMO.

7. Okay, some people have been saying the electronics aren't great. Since it's one soapbar and one humbucker will it be a pain in the @$$ to replace them with EMGs or Duncans if I want to swap them out?

8. not really, you may need to open the rout a little bit more, but thats about the worst it'll get when it comes to replacing pickups

9. Tommy el Gato

Tommy el Gato

Jul 6, 2007
    I played one in a guitar shop once about a year ago. I dig the bridges, and it sounded decent. The fretwork was good and didn't buzz a lick as I recall. What I didn't like about it was the neck, which was paper thin. However: That's not my preference as it may actually be yours. I like a pretty chunky neck myself with slimmer string-spacing.

10. TheB3Nut

TheB3Nut

Apr 26, 2007
    near Madison, WI
    I think if I was going to tinker with pickups and electronics, I'd first replace the stock preamp with an Aguilar or Audere and see what that did with the stock pups. Then if I wanted to go further I'd look into Bartolini or Nordstrand pups.

But for now, I'm just enjoying it as it is. Can't go too far wrong for the money, as long as the neck fits your hand comfortably.

Todd in Cheesecurdistan

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I know one thing- nobody will ever take you seriously while playing or owning one.

Aesthetics aside, the two that I played I didn't like at all (minus a pretty good neck profile). There are a lot better things for the money, imo.

12. Could you maybe recommend some then? The music stores around here suck and musiciansfriend is a tiresome search. I can spend up to $500

13. First of all, before anyone asks, NO I am NOT a Traben endorser. I'm just a Traben owner.

My main bass is a Traben Kore (pronounced Kore-ee, rhymes with Lori, not Kor as in center of the Earth, if anyone pronounces it wrong, hit them with the bass) 5-string. It is an amazing bass. Traben's are excellent. Some people don't like the bridges, but that is a matter of taste. My Kore has amazing sustain that exists in literally no other bass guitar I or any other bass player I know has ever heard. Whether that is due to the huge bridge or the heavy wood combined with a neck-thru contruction (or likely a combo of both) is undetermined.

To the individual who said that no one will ever take you seriously while playing or owning one...what an enormously rediculous opinion. Why don't you ask Bootsy Collins if he is taken seriously as a bass player whenever he plays his Traben....ok, bad example. Ask the bass player from The Tonight Show Band.

Every time I have done a show with this bass, EVERY TIME, a bass or guitar player in the audience comes up to me later and compliments me not only on the look of the bass but (more importantly) on the sound. I have never had a single person point and laugh, or ask me if I feel silly playing this thing. I have had people ask where they can get one just like it, or if mine is for sale. Unfortunately, Traben no longer makes the Kore. So, they have to settle for the slightly inferior Array 5 neck-thru. If you don't like the Traben, fine...but don't insult people who do...and I won't make fun of your generic looking pearloid pickguard jazz basses. I do like the pictures of the cats, though....very cute.

In any event, if you are thinking of buying a Traben I would recommend that you play one first. Traben tend to be heavier than most basses. The Kore appears to be the heaviest bass Traben made (probably why they stopped making it) and the newer ones are smaller and lighter. If you are a bigger guy like me, or have a good back you will enjoy the bass quite a bit. But the best sounding bass in the world is worthless if it hurts you to play it. But if you DO play it and you DO like it, you will absolutely fall in love with it and never want to get rid of it.

If you want a Kore (which, I HIGHLY recommend, if you can handle the weight of it...get a good strap) there is one on ebay here: http://cgi.ebay.com/TRABEN-KORE-5-S...yZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem.

That one is the root beer color. Mine is the lighter honey-blonde.

If you aren't looking for a 5 string, this Neo Limited will fit the bill http://cgi.ebay.com/Traben-Neo-Limi...oryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem.

If you think the bridge on the Neo is too plain (as I do) check out this Array Premium http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Traben-Arra...oryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem.

IF you do want a 5 string, but don't want to compete with the weight of the Kore, check out this Array 5-String limited http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Traben-Arra...oryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem. I have personally played one of these and the sound is comparable to the Kore but without as much bite or sustain.

All of these basses will cost you less than $500 delivered.

Another good thing about the Traben is the ruggedness. Not just of the wood, but of the finish. I am generally very protective of my Kore, but accidents will happen. So far, there is only one tiny little crack in the finish, and it is barely noticable. This is good, because in the unlikely event that you ever play a show and some jackass makes fun of you for playing a traben, you can give him a massive concussion with it and not have to worry about breaking the bass.

14. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I used to have one, and I quite miss the tone. It was punchy and growly, but it could also be pretty smooth if you dialled it in. It looked really nice when I thought I was all that, but of course the better you get the worse you are (if you know what I mean), and I began to realise that I couldn't pull off a bass like that, so it had to go.

The crowd always, always, always loved it though, and I wouldn't say I wasn't taken seriously, even by fellow (and more talented) bassists. It was more of a self confidence thing for me.

15. I was actually wondering about the Bootzilla sig model myself. Of course its hard to find Trabens in general let alone a specific model.

16. Would'e?

Would'e?

Mar 27, 2007
    Virginia
    The only one I ever played, I almost immediately put down because the neck was too wide and fat. But then I like SR, Foundation and Millennium necks.

I like the looks of some of the Trabens, the smaller bridged ones anyway, but the word "basswood" would probably keep me away. I also would question how well they balance with that shape. I'm spoiled by my Millennium which is so superbly balanced I find anything else with even the slightest dive or pull annoying.

17. I played one in at BassNW awhile back, and the main issue I had with it was that it sounded very sterile. It was dry and had no character to its tone, no matter what I tried. They did have a VERY comfortable neck and it was really easy to play.

I really like a lot of them, looks and playability, but I couldn't justify buying one because I know I'd be changing the preamp and the pickups shortly after. I know I wouldn't be happy with a Traben without some modifications.

18. TheB3Nut

TheB3Nut

Apr 26, 2007
    near Madison, WI
    Nothing wrong with that Schecter at all, well-supported brand and those neck-through Stilettos play and sound very nice indeed. I've been impressed with the ones I've played, anyway. Schecter makes a nice fretless, too, though theirs are lined and I prefer an unlined board.

Todd in Cheesecurdistan